Aquatic plants in jars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRMagno

Aquarium Advice Activist
Picked up 3 smallish jars at a garage sale the other day with the thought of growing plants in them. My idea was to grow relatively low light plants like moneywort, dwarf sag and banana plant. I would use fluval substrate and light it with a desk lamp with around 14w 6700k. Would this work? There would be no heater, do the temp would be 70ish. Please let me know, ideas or experience! Thanks!

image-3626572109.jpg

That method talks about fish as a nitrate source for the plants. So since the plants are in small jars, I would have to does nitrates, I'm guessing

You could use terrestrial fertilizers if there's no animals going in there. Only thing is potential algae issues. I'd do regular water changes on these containers anyway to keep the water from getting icky.

I've got a couple of little bowls like that. It works really well with potting soil and a sand cap. The water does get a slightly icky film over the top from lack of movement but I just change half the water every 1-2 weeks and it doesn't get too bad.

Mumma.of.two said:
I've got a couple of little bowls like that. It works really well with potting soil and a sand cap. The water does get a slightly icky film over the top from lack of movement but I just change half the water every 1-2 weeks and it doesn't get too bad.

Do you dose any ferts, or is the potting soil enough?

I don't add anything at all except a bit of fresh water. They are set up like a walstad tank but with no livestock (well one has pond snails) and only get low light for about 12 hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom