Are airstones prductive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1 LARA

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would taking the airwall bubbler out benifit my newly heavy planted co2?

Instead of removing it, put it on a timer to come on when your lights go out
(photosynthesis stops and plants take in oxygen).

Put it on a timer to come on at night when your co2 and lights are off. And then to go off when your lights and co2 come back on. Plants will provide the o2 during the day

Put it on a timer to come on at night when your co2 and lights are off. And then to go off when your lights and co2 come back on. Plants will provide the o2 during the day

My Co2 isn't on a timer... its a DIY it runs all the time.....

Ok so put on a timer to come on when lights go out

Don't the fish need oxygen?

Yep ... During the day plants and the atmosphere provide the o2 for your fish. At night, only the atmosphere provides your tank with o2 which now both your stock and plants use. Having your airstone on at night will just help o2 enter into your tank.

Lainey183 said:
My Co2 isn't on a timer... its a DIY it runs all the time.....

Co2 should be shut off when lights go out,leaving it to run through the night can cause ph fluctuations which is bad for fish..simply unplug the tube from the DIY reactor..also +1 to putting your bubbler on a timer...the bubbles don't disperse into the water,its the turbulence the the bubbles cause when braking the plane of the water increasing o2 exchange..

You don't need to disconnect your co2 at night. Just have your air pump come on after the lights are out and it will keep the co2 from building up throughout the night. I would adjust the timer to turn off the air pump about 2 hours before the lights come on so it can start to build up at just the right time. That way, once the lights kick on, there should be some co2 primed and ready to be taken in by your plants. It's standard practice for DIY tanks.

Back
Top Bottom