Are certain fish sensitive to ferts, specifically root tabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I planted my killifish tank today finally and the plants are looking less then stellar. I read in a book on killis not to put any ferts at all in the tanks because the fish are sensitive to them. Has anyone else ever heard this? I really need to use rood tabs or I may lose some plants. I have Flourish root tabs and for plants a small sword and crypts that I know are root feeders, I also have anubias, java ferns and some stem plants that I don't really care about- was hoping the fish would spawn in them.

Well I know the stores that sell clown/Rocket Killis have them in heavily planted tanks that get normal levels of ferts.

But most advise low light. So Java Ferns and Crypts should work.

The root tabs are slow release.

I would try to talk to Killi breeders.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea. The next Chicago Killifish Association meeting is in January. I am hoping to go and ask lots of questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I should know better than to trust a book with typos!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Using Fertilizers

Hello bre...

Any fish will be sensitive to chemicals put into the tank water and plants take time to get used to new water conditions. Plants will look poorly for a time and even die back. The new leaves will be used to the new conditions and most will grow back.

Consider using half the ferts recommended and see how the fish do.

B

I think the issue more lies in that killis prefer more subdued lighting. A heavily planted low light tank with lots of moss and floating stems.. some crypts and anubias. This tank would only require minimal liquid ferts and few root tabs. Same setup I ran for a while anyways, killis seemed fine with it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never heard of it. Ferts already exist in the tank anyway to some extent.

Not to mention that many ferts that we add artificially are chelated, such that they are actually (usually) less toxic than their naturally occurring counterparts.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom