Are my plants dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvanWells

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have recently started a freshwater planted tank. I don't know much about planted tanks but I am using Excel once a day, per bottles instructions. My plants are becoming brown at the bottom. What am I doing wrong. Im doing water changes weekly, as its a new tank. TDS meter clocks in at 343. And my TDS meter automatically adjusts for temp. Ill post a couple pictures below. Thanks in advance, ima newbie to all this! lol :fish2:
b1911c1ce76e844a336708bbf49c5db5.png

06409383d6c52408713e1bd96b257e70.png

0fc8639b85a3d441c746eb08b211e275.png

Plants take longer to acclimate then fish.
Pay more attention to new growth as opposed to how well the old growth looks.
Remove dead/dying leaves from plants.
Hope this helps a little .

Do you kow what the name of the plant is?

I ask because it looks very similar to cyperus helferi which turns brown when it acclimates and when it is not happy. I started with about 6 clumps of cyperus helferi in my 10g and I probably have about 2 actually clumps left. I wasn't able to get it to grow in a clump so I separated by rosette and then planted it. After a few weeks I was finally able to get new growth. Also they are root feeders so you'll need a good root tab under them which really helps get new growth. I should also tell you that c. Helferi do not like to be moved too much. I lost some every time I moved them so I put them in and left them. There's not a ton of info on C. Helferi on the internet so your best bet if that's what it indeed is, is to ask on here. I know of one other person besides myself on here who has them and I do believe their's are doing well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They may be planted a little deep ? Make sure crown isn't buried.

Add root tabs, you can buy DIY ones very inexpensively. I got 100 off of eBay for about eight dollars shipped.
They are Osmocote Plus root tabs.

You bury them deeply next to your plants. I use 1 about every 6" so not many in a 10g.

How long are you running your lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom