Are my plants dying off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jobin13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey!

My 40 g breeder seems to be losing plants! My plants are continuing to melt despite a finished cycle...I'm also dosing with sachems fertilizer. Is this normal with amazon sword and crypts wendtii? I've never kept these plants before but I have kept other varieties.
recent

Could be normal melt. Sounds like it.

Crypts are known melters. Im not a sword expert but good chance

Funken_A is right sounds like normal melt, if it is they should come back. What seachem products were you using, as I am no expert either. It could be a deficiency.

I use the generic flourish. I was also using Purigen to clear tannins but I took that out. Since then I've lost 4 fish My tank does not produce excess nitrates it seems. After cycling and doing a 90% water change I have almost no nitrates. I added a good bio load and fed well too. yet after 1.5 weeks I have no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. It's like the plants gobble it up before it makes a presence in the water...

I do have a planted tank that's fishes cycling and producing a great nitrate load would it be a bad idea if I were to do water changes between tanks to bump up the nitrate load somewhat usefully over time?

It might risk adding a little nitrite in the process too..

I do have a planted tank that's fishes cycling and producing a great nitrate load would it be a bad idea if I were to do water changes between tanks to bump up the nitrate load somewhat usefully over time?

It might risk adding a little nitrite in the process too..

I don't think your tank is properly cycled yet to be honest. Fish deaths would have been caused by an ammonia spike. Plants won't use up that much nitrate in such a small period of time.

Maybe doing the 90% change killed off all your BB and your back to square one. How long has the tank been set up for?

I don't think your tank is properly cycled yet to be honest. Fish deaths would have been caused by an ammonia spike. Plants won't use up that much nitrate in such a small period of time.

Maybe doing the 90% change killed off all your BB and your back to square one. How long has the tank been set up for?

Theres no ammonia or nitrites present in the tank. my water parameters seem fine except for a relative lack of nitrate.

Ammonia:0
nitrite:0
Nitrate:0-5
pH: 7.6
kH:3

This tank has been up and running for a month and a half and I began adding fish 3 weeks ago. I added the plants 2 weeks ago. Since doing the 90% water change (the day after I added plants) I have seen 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. My nitrate level has slowly been going down from 20 ppm. The only thing that changed was I added more fish and removed the purigen to recharge because my mopani wood is still heavily releasing tannins. I also fed them frozen brine shrimp which I never have before. I have yet to add purigen back to the tank. the fish that I lost were some fancy guppies and a bloodfin tetra that were brand new (less than 3 days in my tank) so I'm not sure if it was stress related or not...

Back
Top Bottom