are my plants dying on me??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmarie85

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Plants are going from dark green to dark brown,, and few leaves rotting,,, i had put plant food in the water,,, no results,, i have realized glass suckers and goldfish like to eat off them... Is there anything i can do to save them,, enough light,, water peremiters are perfect..

What is "enough light" and what are your parameters exactly? This could be due to quite a few things really. What fert are you dosing with? Are you doing any CO2? What plants are they?

What is "enough light" and what are your parameters exactly? This could be due to quite a few things really. What fert are you dosing with? Are you doing any CO2? What plants are they?

+1, these questions should be answered to get better suggestions. I will also ask how long have they been in your tank, they could be transitioning from emersed growth if they were bought recently. Also what substrate and how are the plants planted?

Your plants are probably root feeders. Adding ferts to the water is a waste of time. Go to you LFS for root tabs and place 2 under each plant. The other problem could be lighting ....what kind of lighting are you using?

Your plants are probably root feeders. Adding ferts to the water is a waste of time. Go to you LFS for root tabs and place 2 under each plant. The other problem could be lighting ....what kind of lighting are you using?

They are root feeders,, it has been.about 3 months that i bought them.. The tank is fully cycled for 7 months.. Lightning is.6 hrs of.light bulb and natural sun light ( not direct ).. They were ok until i had to.take my.whole.tank down for tent fumigation.. My tank is bk fully cycled,,

0 nitrate
0 amonia

They are root feeders,, it has been.about 3 months that i bought them.. The tank is fully cycled for 7 months.. Lightning is.6 hrs of.light bulb and natural sun light ( not direct ).. They were ok until i had to.take my.whole.tank down for tent fumigation.. My tank is bk fully cycled,,

0 nitrate
0 amonia

Thid is how they look..

ForumRunner_20130529_162225.jpg

What about nitrite? Are you sure it's 0 nitrate you might not necessarily be cycled again. I would go the root tabs method since, like was said before, dosing liquid ferts is basically useless to root feeders. It could still be many things but I'm thinking maybe a potassium deficiency which the root tabs would supply

What about nitrite? Are you sure it's 0 nitrate you might not necessarily be cycled again. I would go the root tabs method since, like was said before, dosing liquid ferts is basically useless to root feeders. It could still be many things but I'm thinking maybe a potassium deficiency which the root tabs would supply

Thanks.. I bought a cheap test strip and it did not gave me accurate readings,, looks like after i tear down my tank becuase of the tent fumigation, my tank is cycling all over again,, i had to put fresh water and rinse of the whole tank.. Fish are ok, no signs of stress... Normal behavior.. Its been 5 days.since this happened.. Nitrates are 45ppm

Here's a good link for easy deficiency lists and its symptoms, looks like yours could be a potassium or iron deficiency. Also even though swords are heavy root feeders you should also be dosing liquid ferts as well, they are in no way a waste of time, they can aide in helping with substrate nutrient levels and probably have a more diverse ingredient list
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/plant_problems.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom