Are plant fertilizers safe for the fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orca

Aquarium Advice Regular
After reading the recommendations of many in this forum, I’ve become kind of paranoid about adding any kind of chemicals to my tank (with the exception of conditioner to remove the chlorine).

What’s the consensus on plant fertilizers? Are they hazardous to fish? Should they be avoided?

Obviously, too much of anything is bad. But assuming you use the proper doses, is it OK for the fish to fertilize the plants?

TIA

I believe the consensus is that most Ferts made by SeaChem are good and safe.

I think theres a topic about it in the planted forum

I would not use any 'garden' type fertilizer in my tank. Some stuff sold as 'fertilizer' I would not even put in my garden!

There is this stuff called ironite(?) I think, that you can get at ace hardware and other such places, that is supposed to boost iron in your soil, which it does. It also boosts the levels of all sorts of nasty toxic chemicals and heavy metals, because it is made from iron ore mining waste :(

Make sure that the nitrogen source is not urea, which many above ground plant ferts use. This can boost the level of ammonia in your tank. If used in standard doses (ie the amount listed on the label) you should be fine using most aquarium basic ferts. But if you want to get more serious and add separate potassium, iron etc... then you really need to get test kits for these things and monitor the levels.

Back
Top Bottom