Are Rubberlip plecos plant eaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsoong

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I've been blaming my goldies for the disappearing plants. I had a jungle of green hygro that disappeared overnight, and new growths that don't last more than a few days. Now I am finding chunks of leaves missing from the crypts & Java ferns.

I have been sneaking up on the tank to see who the guilty party was. <The goldies drop whatever they are doing if they see me & go straight to the feeding spot.> I've not seen any of the golds taking any interest in the plants. So that left me with suspect #2 - the rubberlip.

He is never out in the day, but it is possible that he is doing the dirty deed at night. <He certainly digs & uproot the Vals aroung his "cave".>

I thought that rubberlips are plant safe ... but maybe I was wrong. Anyone has any experience?

what are you feeding it? didnt know them to be but i am not a expert. maybe its a dietary problem.

I know when my bristlenose doesn't get enough to eat my hydro is on his menu. I found if I feed him broccoli a couple of times a week my plants are safe and the algae is pretty well kept away/ Mine is a glutton and will even eat sinking pellets I feed the cories.

I don't specifically feed him anything .... he is supposed to eat algae & there is plenty of algae left in the back pane (which I never clean).

My goldies get veggies, but there is usually nothing left in the tank within an hour of feeding. Maybe I will try dropping in cukes or zucchini at night so the pleco can have first dips before the goldies wake up & devour everything!

there you go. most plecos dont really eat algae. even the ones that do still need to be feed. i would feed at night also. think about getting some algae wafers. plecos like veggies weigh some down at night for them. my bn eat peaches.

Back
Top Bottom