Are these even meant to be submerged?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N1NJ0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought some plans in "combo packs" from Petco. I know I have anacharis, and anubias barteri, but there's 2 plants I haven't been able to ID after hours of digging through plant profiles. I didn't know anything really before planting this tank and I've already learned a lot. Anacharis was planted wrong, but away from the dead "roots" it's already flourishing (amazing plant). The a anubias needs pruning, but is already showing marked growth after only about 5 days. Now for my question, there is two plants, they're both stem plants and have narrow pointed leaves. One is green with thick yellow bands of on the outside, and the other is green with a thin white stripe on the outside of the leaves. Totally new to this forum and can't post a picture, but hopefully a description is enough. Are these meant for the aquarium? They're the only plants that seem to be doing worse since their addition. Black / Brown algae (i think) is taking over their leaves and they're starting to curl. I don't have fish in the tank at all yet, 5 days into a fishless cycle.

I have an LED light bar, by current USA. Advertised good enough for mid planted setups.
I used eco-complete for substrate hoping to speed up cycling and help with plants.

I can't think of anything else to add about equipment, my api freshwater master test kit is in the mail, but I do have 4 test strips left. I didn't think testing was necessary but I'll dip a strip and report back if advised.

I did just have some white slimey/moldy/cobwebby looking stuff just form on one of my rocks, I believe this is bacterial bloom and I've left it alone for 2 days.

Any chance input is appreciated, thanks AA!

Thanks guys, waiting on the links to my pictures to be approved by a mod.

upload them on Imgur then post the link with the picture button.

I'm new to this forum stuff ahaha
Green /w yellow
rUP5ya.jpg

Green /w white
7QGlEy.jpg

I swear the picture button wasn't there!

If you are on a computer it is three icons to the left of font sizes.

I assume you aren't on a computer.

Sorry for the delay, for new members both pictures and links need to be approved. I got you covered now though, but sometimes it takes a bit to show up for everybody else. :)

No, that plant is not meant to be submerged. Apologies, but tyeh name is escaping me at the moment. I am sure somebody else will chime in with it though. But they are a plants that needs its leave out of water for long term thriving. If you fully submerge it, it will probably live between 3-9 months before the leaves will all decay and die. That was actually the first "aquarium" plant I ever purchased after receiving some incorrect information from a store.

I believe the first picture MAY be of a sprig of lucky bamboo... there is another possibility but the name escapes me.

The name also escapes me for the second one.

I don't care about the names for now, I don't think in Latin yet. I will be removing both plants today. There is ALSO a sprig of bamboo in there, but it is only partially visible in the pic with the white leaves... will it be ok submerged?

What I would do would be to put the sprig of bamboo in your hob filter (assuming you have one) and let it grow with the natural room light. They need air but benefit from pulling nutrients from the water.

Bamboo will have the same ultimate outcome if left submerged. The leaves need air. As was said, if you have an HOB filter, you can grow these plants out of it. You can also just grown them in a vase. Some people will make rigs out of shower baskets and hang them partly in the water to grow these sort of. Personally, I have only ever just grown them in vases and watered them with fish tank water.

Thanks for everything guys. Removing all 3 plants In question. Thanks extra to Icydeath for not judging me and walking me through the pics thing.

Sounds good.
Also, it popped into my head. They are called ribbon plants. The white ribbon plants (Dracaena sanderiana) are commonly sold by as aquatic. Lucky bamboo is another name for them. They are actually a type of spider plant and grow into large house plants if well maintained. You can look up images to see the large plants with large, ribbony leaves that they can grow into. The full plant looks a bit different from the small one the stores package, but that is what they are. They also sell a "yellow ribbon plant" that is a similar species.

Back
Top Bottom