Are these good for EI dosing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokilow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive been trying to get better and more into high tech planted and added CO2 about a month ago. The plants seem to be doing well but I expected better growth than what I have.

I know there are a TON of variables and it's hard to keep track of everything. However I found out about this EI method and wanted to give it a try. This website here (what-you-need-to-know-about-ei-plant-feedin) lists the ingredients and the cost savings/optimum dosing sounds great.
Step-by-step guide to making your own EI mix

1. Measure out four teaspoons of potassium nitrate, one teaspoon of potassium phosphate, and six teaspoons of magnesium sulphate.

Add these to your 'macro' dosing bottle, avoiding spillage.

If you have a funnel it will prove useful with this task.

2. Add 500ml of water to the bottle and using it boiled and cooled will kill any bacteria, avoiding mould blooms.

However, don’t be tempted to use freshly boiled or still hot water as this will adversely affect the results.

3. Shake well and leave overnight to make sure all the salts have fully dissolved. You may need to shake the bottle a couple of times over this period to avoid settlement.

4. Measure out one teaspoon of chelated trace elements and add these to a separate ‘micro’ dosing bottle. Do not mix the macro and micro-nutrients in the same bottle.

5. Add 500ml of water to the bottle, using it boiled and cooled. It’s worth marking the two bottles at this point so that you know which is which.

6. Shake well and leave overnight to make sure all the salts have fully dissolved. Note that the trace elements are slightly discolouring in the bottle. This is normal.

Would you agree with these instructions and ingredients?

I have went to Amazon and found the closet match to what they list, I want to double check that the products I found are correct.
POTASSIUM NITRATE
Epsom Salt
Monopotassium Phosphate (This is the main one Im unsure if its correct.

Sorry if these are noob questions, ive been getting lost in all the information regarding proper techniques.

Which country do you live in?

For "classic" EI you'll need:

KNO3
KH2PO4
K2SO4
CSM+B (consider DTPA 11% Iron if your pH is 6.5 - 7.5)

MgSO4 and CaSO4 if your gH is low...

I live in USA.

What would be the instructions if I dont follow the guide for the three minerals and buy 5 different minerals you posted? Would the three I listed still be suitable for starting?

EDIT: Ok I added-
Calcium Sulfate
And Potassium Sulfate
to my lists. This should give me a great starting point in making my own macro/micro dosing correct?

I live in USA.

What would be the instructions if I dont follow the guide for the three minerals and buy 5 different minerals you posted? Would the three I listed still be suitable for starting?

EDIT: Ok I added-
Calcium Sulfate
And Potassium Sulfate
to my lists. This should give me a great starting point in making my own macro/micro dosing correct?

PM me and I'll give you a full source list of exactly where to get the ones you are after. There is a member I can put you in touch with that will send a full micro nutrient package allowing you complete control over all nutrients. You will have to invest $20 into a 50 gram scale with a calibration weight accurate up to 0.001 grams off amazon. Still cheaper in the long run than buying CSM+B / Flourish etc. for micros.

GLA has almost everything you need...

KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, CaSO4, MgSO4, CAM+B (if you choose this route for micro's).

Back
Top Bottom