Are these snails plant friendly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about those particular Ramshorn snails...I think there are different species. But, I have some Ramshorn in my planted tanks (snuck in with the plants) and they don't eat my plants. I've found holes in a few of the wider leaved plants (mainly anubias and crypts) but that could be due to a nutrient deficiency as I've never seen the snails eating on the plants.

I guess YMMV though. I know there is atleast one type of Ramshorn that only eats dead plant leaves and leftover food.

If you read the notes, it appears that this snail will eat plants that are dead or poor shape. Generally this mean that they should be fine with healthy plants, though they might decide to much on some tender shoots. If your tank is having some issues and your plants are far from pristine, you might want to pass on them.

Purrbox said:
If you read the notes, it appears that this snail will eat plants that are dead or poor shape. Generally this mean that they should be fine with healthy plants, though they might decide to much on some tender shoots. If your tank is having some issues and your plants are far from pristine, you might want to pass on them.
i suppose i could pick some up, and give them a try, i have 4 other (none planted) tanks i can move them to if they prove a problem. if you explore the site a little you will see that these snails are in the misc section, w/ MTS, not in the plant eating section... :wink:

Yes, that is the "non-plant" eating ramshorn that I and many others have. Just keep in mind that these are asexual and reproduce on their own. One can lead to many in short order.

These things breed like the plague. They will munch some more tender plants if they do not get enough food from the detrius. In general though, they are quite safe in a planted aquaria. Also, my loaches do not bother the larger ones.

i think i might give them a try...

does anyone have experience with ordering from this site? or suggest a better site to order them from?

They are kinda cool snails as they like to surf around on the surface from time to time. I also have a mass of them and feed them to my loaches all the time but that is why I wanted them. That and they clean up the mess on the bottom, my gravel vacs have never been cleaner. If you go out to try and find them try to get the red variation. They look really cool and are semitransparent from the pictures I have seen. Mine have never eaten any of my plants and have done a really good job on all my algae except hair algae and BBA.

When I redid my tank the other day, I didn't realize I had so many Ramshorns, lol. They do tend to over-populate, lol. As for eating plants, only dead or dying plant matter. They don't touch live plants. I like having ramshorns in my planted tanks for that reason.

JDogg said:
does anyone have experience with ordering from this site? or suggest a better site to order them from?

Check the reviews out over on Aquatic Plant Central (very bottom of the forums). Nothing but positive feedback.

Try to get these from a regular person. Unless you are going for a certain color. I have these in my tank and they breed like crazy. No noticeable damage to plants. I do have a few blues ones that I'm hoping will give rise to more blue ones.

Back
Top Bottom