At a loss and losing interest.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 29 gallon planted tank has basically been a giant nightmare since I set it up back in august of 2012. I have been battling horrible diatoms and nutrient deficiencies. I "think" I have my deficiencies under control and my plants seem to be growing quite well IMO. However the diatoms, on the other hand, seem to be getting better then worse and so on. Basically I have been on a diatom roller-coaster for the past 11 months and am pretty tired of it. I Dose all the flourish ferts and they seem to be working well so far. My stock is two angels that are about 2-3 inches long and 2 years old as well as an albino bn pleco. My lights are on for 8 hours a day. My fixture is a dual t5 no 6700K. I don't really know what to do next I've tried many large pwcs. Less light, more light, more ferts, less ferts, not overfeeding cleaning all the diatoms off, waiting them out, I simply don't know where to turn. I am considering ripping them out and doing a hardscape, or trying something else.

I'm also losing interest since cleaning a diatom filled tank is really not pleasant and looking at one isn't either.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks guys!

I've had good luck with nerite snails devouring diatoms like addicted algae fiends in some of my tanks :)

Could it be that your tap water has high levels of silicates in it? You might be able to find that out in your county water report.

Aside from nerites, otos are great at eating diatoms too. What kind of plants do you have? Are you sure they're diatoms you are battling? Diatoms usually subside not too long after initial setup... being that your tank had been setup for quite sometime, makes me wonder.

Aside from nerites, otos are great at eating diatoms too. What kind of plants do you have? Are you sure they're diatoms you are battling? Diatoms usually subside not too long after initial setup... being that your tank had been setup for quite sometime, makes me wonder.

I have ludwigia repens, anubias, amazon swords, red crypts, green crypts, and a red melon sword. Im pretty sure its diatoms its brown stuff that is on the plants'leaves on the glass and even on some of the substrate. They are rather easy to wipe off except when they are on plant leaves.

I had that in my six gallon and when I added an oto cat it cleand it all up now there are no diatoms in my tank at all

I would try a couple otos or nerites before throwing in the towel. Mine both do a great job with diatom cleanup.

I noticed you mostly have root feeders. Maybe try getting some more fast growing stem plants- like wisteria to take up some nutrients in your water. Perhaps there are extra nutrients that the diatoms are feeding on. What are your levels of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates?

Have you tried phos-zorb or phosguard yet? It will lower your phosphate but if you're dosing phosphate it should be okay, phosguard/phos-zorb will remove excess silicates that diatoms feed on.

I noticed you mostly have root feeders. Maybe try getting some more fast growing stem plants- like wisteria to take up some nutrients in your water. Perhaps there are extra nutrients that the diatoms are feeding on. What are your levels of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates?

My params are ammo and trites 0 phosphates .25 and trates are 10.

How many nerites or otos should I get. I'll call LFS tonight to special order. Will they clean the diatoms off the leaves?

An just to make sure these are diatoms right?

image-5278148.jpg

image-2155246556.jpg

image-3263010392.jpg

What substrate are you using? Stone decor, etc? Maybe something in the tank is providing a source of the silica.. from the pic, it looks like a black sand or something. I know sand can leach silica for a long time and can exacerbate the diatoms. But even when sand is used, it should still get depleted of silica eventually (I think). Or maybe as mentioned earlier, high silica from the water source?

Otos and snails will eat the stuff, but they might not be able to keep up.

What substrate are you using? Stone decor, etc? Maybe something in the tank is providing a source of the silica.. from the pic, it looks like a black sand or something. I know sand can leach silica for a long time and can exacerbate the diatoms. But even when sand is used, it should still get depleted of silica eventually (I think). Or maybe as mentioned earlier, high silica from the water source?

Otos and snails will eat the stuff, but they might not be able to keep up.

It's regular aquarium black sand. I don't have any stone decor. I don't think I have any silica in my tap as this is the only tank I have ever had diatom issues with.

I would not suggest using any phosphate removers simply because your phosphate level is really low as it is. One thing I'm seeing is definite nutrient deficiencies in the photo's. I see iron deficiency (plants leaves all going yellow), and both potassium and phosphate deficiencies. If brown doesn't rub off plants easily it's not diatoms. My guess is your mistaking some of the plants deficiency issues as diatoms.

I would not suggest using any phosphate removers simply because your phosphate level is really low as it is. One thing I'm seeing is definite nutrient deficiencies in the photo's. I see iron deficiency (plants leaves all going yellow), and both potassium and phosphate deficiencies. If brown doesn't rub off plants easily it's not diatoms. My guess is your mistaking some of the plants deficiency issues as diatoms.

The photos are a little deceiving as my plants are green however I think you may be correct.

So maybe I'm doing the opposite of what I should be. I was reducing ferts because I thought they were causing the diatoms and when I saw some of the deficiencies I thought they were simply the result of not dosing ferts for a week due to my absence during a vacation. So what you are saying is that maybe if I keep with my original fert plan and get a few nerites my problem could that simply be solved. Yes the brown stuff does rub off quite easily.

Okay, I did a water change tonight and am back on my fert schedule. I will re-test my post my parameters tomorrow. That is if I remember to test them in the first place. I also never got around to ordering the nerites, but will do so tomorrow. Does five sound right for numbers?

Glad your back on your correct dosing schedule. That is the right thing to do. And 5 nerites should be fine to start. You can always add more if needed. Then just be patient over the next month after your back on schedule and have the nerites and see if your tank has improved. Also be sure to only run lights 6 hours until everything is back under control.

Parameters this morning are as follow.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Ph 7.8
Nitrates 10
Phosphate .5-1

I think these are ideal but if someone could confirm that would be great.

My timer has been adjusted to 6 hours a day as recommended by rivercats.

The nerites are ordered and I hope to maybe pick them up Friday. Thanks for your help.

I'll update as the progress starts. (Hopefully very soon)

I like phosphates a little higher at 2ppm but as long as your not getting any algae, especially GSA they are fine.

Back
Top Bottom