attaching java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm working on an aquascape for a planted guppy tank and one plant I wish to include is Java fern. I know that they're epiphytes but at the moment I'm unsure what to attach it to. I have both smooth river stones and bumpy cinder/lava rock. I've heard that the fern won't attach to the river stone because it's too smooth and the roots won't be able to grip. Is this true? What would be the better option?

I'm working on an aquascape for a planted guppy tank and one plant I wish to include is Java fern. I know that they're epiphytes but at the moment I'm unsure what to attach it to. I have both smooth river stones and bumpy cinder/lava rock. I've heard that the fern won't attach to the river stone because it's too smooth and the roots won't be able to grip. Is this true? What would be the better option?

Lava rock would be the better option since it is porous. I believe the Java Fern would have a tough time attaching to the river stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attaching Java Fern

Hello bet...

Anything porous, like lava rock or pieces of driftwood. I use black cotton sewing thread to attach the plant and position rocks I pick up locally to hide the thread and to weigh down the driftwood. Cotton sewing thread is best, because it eventually dissolves in the tank water. By this time, the roots of the fern have grown into the piece and don't need the thread to hold the roots in place.

B

Cotton thread might be hard to find usually a bit expensive. I just superglue it to driftwood. Wood is much better for Java ferns but lava rock would work too. If you superglue, get the gel kind only and attach the plant wait a few seconds for glue to set and then stick it in your tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use rubberbands. Didn't look the greatest, but holds the java in place nicely

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom