attaching plants to driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeutonJon78

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got some anubias and want to attach a coffeefolia to a piece of driftwood.
I've read around a little and saw to use fishingline or cottong thread to hold it to the wood. I went with cotton since it seems softer and natural and I have head it will dissolve on its own if I don't do anything with it.

Now the question is....what technique is best? should just the rhizome be tied down, or all the roots as well?

How long does it usually take for a plant to adhere to the wood?

I prefer to use cotton thread because it does dissolve and is less conspicuous. You can bind the rhizome BUT the roots are what will adhere to the driftwood. Because anubias is such a slow growing plant, it can take quite a while for the roots to take hold.

HTH

I have had not so great results with anubias that has been tied to driftwood. In my tanks I have noticed that it does not grow nearly as well when tied as it does when partially planted in gravel. Mine was just growing algae until I put it in the substrate, and it immediately started growing new leaves. Just something to keep in mind if you have the same trouble. I think it is prettier on driftwood, though.

It seemed to take a while to attach to driftwood - much longer than java fern.

the one I tied down has a large root system that cover the whole driftwood almost (combo of large roots and small driftwood). As a coincidence, it seems this plant was designed for the piece of driftwood. All of the major root coincide with a grove on the driftwood. Kind of freaky.

How deep of substrate are you using to keep your plants down? My snail plows my plants up like a tractor at night...Im about ready to toss him in a skillet with some butter. Just kidding!!! 8O

I used cotton to attach my anubias to my drift wood, i just wrapped the cotton round all the roots until they looked like they were all touching, after about a month, i started to cut bits of the cotton away, now i think its ready to come completely off, after about 3 months.

I've used just about everything: thread, fishing line, rubber bands, twist ties, hair nets, staples, weights . . . and I agree with Lowcoaster - rubber bands are just about the easiest to use with Anubias but just about anything will work :)

Back
Top Bottom