Attack of the Dreaded BBA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my tank as became infected with the Dreaded BBA or black brush algae.
I wanted to treat this with metricide 14 as I already have a gallon of it.
I dose 6ml every day. I need to know how much to increase this as to get over this problem
36g tank
HO t5 4 bulb fixture on 6 hours a day.
Pams are all great and I run a 75g canister

Please and thank you

So my tank as became infected with the Dreaded BBA or black brush algae.

I wanted to treat this with metricide 14 as I already have a gallon of it.

I dose 6ml every day. I need to know how much to increase this as to get over this problem

36g tank

HO t5 4 bulb fixture on 6 hours a day.

Pams are all great and I run a 75g canister

Please and thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would increase to at least 15 ml of met 14. You need to spot treat the bba you all ready have though. Turn off all water flow and squirt 5 ml directly on bba.leave filters off for 15 minutes. It will start to turn red and then die off. Repeat daily until gone

Thank you for your help. I'll be trying those first thing tomorrow morning as I have already dosed everything today.

Metricide 14 isn't going to solve your problems. You need to look at the root of the cause rather than trying to treat the symptoms.

How long are your lights left on?

4 t5ho bulbs is a huge amount of input over that size of a tank. Have you thought about pressurized co2?

What ferts are you using?

Lights are on roughly 6 hours a day on a timer.
I dose 5ml of metricide 14every day
And flourish comperisve lquid ferts every Thursday

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Still no improvement, all it seemed to do was slow it down. Need more suggestions please

Don't you love how people don't listen? I see he uses Excel macros--daily. I would also grab the Excel micros to go with it.

I, however, would cut back to dosing only at water changes. I learned the hard way. I also use root tabs (6-12-6 formula)

I read that as Metricide 14 everyday and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive every week. You've got your carbon source and micros covered but it's lacking in macros. Yes, Flourish Comp has both but is lean on the macros. If you are going with liquid ferts then I would suggest adding API Leaf zone. It supplies primarily iron and potassium. The fish will round it out by supplying the nitrates and phosphates. I did that combo for about a year before I switched to dry ferts and pressurized CO2.
With the dosing you will be doing to keep up with that lighting, dry ferts is a more ecomonical route.

Over a 36g tank with 4 t5ho using the liquid ferts isnt going to be effective at all sadly. As stated before, they have micros but even they are lacking for your tank. With that much light you really need to move it up to daily dry ferts. Pressurized co2 would also be helpful.

I forgot to ask about water flow and TDS. BBA tends to decrease with increased water flow. High amounts of dissolved solids supposedly contributes to BBA growth. This can be remedied through water changes.
I had a bad bout with BBA, stag horn, and GSA a little while ago. Increasing and adjusting the macros, a slight increase in pressurized CO2, and increasing to glut helped remove the BBA and stag horn. I can live with a little GSA.

I have very little flow, the water not stagnant but enough that I'm investing in a new cainster filter soon. Just trying to hold out to Christmas, tds is low naturally. I live in a rural area, like you have to fight a gator on your way to school. I do have an rodi filter for my SW tank so if it ever got that bad, I could always use it.

Alright, so I need to increase my Marcos so I know that lquid were bad for my crazy lighting, just getting used to dosing an such and they worked pretty well, I had huge amazon swords. So if Im buying more ferts I want to buy dry. So off to do my research

GLA is good place for dry ferts. Economical. You'll need a gram scale as well. Suggest you buy an extra fert bottle (the kit has two) for the nitrates in case you need to dose those separately.
An inexpensive HOB or power head can be used to supplement circulation.

Back
Top Bottom