Attempt at moss wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes sorry I've got my information messed up, I know silicates are the main cause but I thought there was a link about fish food being high in phosphates or something and resulting in diatoms....

It's just one betta, i gave him two/three flakes a day. So I don't really overfeed :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/algae-limiting-nutrients
I remember discussing this issue on another thread about a month back because I was having an issue with diatoms in an established tank. Been doing larger water changes reduced the amount of root tabs I'm using. Has decreased dramatically.

How come in my tank where phosphates are always 5-10ppm, according to our not so reliable liquid test kits, do i not suffer with diatoms?? Or BBA for that matter?? No hair algae or staghorn either??

I do get GSA on the glass after about 6 days which is no big deal as the glass is cleaned every 7 days. Its funny because i read on this forum the cure for GSA is add more phosphate.

I dose a standard EI mix with the addition of potassium sulphate. I now even dose the nitrate part of EI. This method is designed to flood an aquarium with more nutrients than the plants can ever use so that they can grow to their full potential.

I prevent algae by having a good light/co2 balance and thorough tank maintenance.

Oh and as for the 'my root tabs are causing algae' theory. I also disagree with that. My ADA amazonia packed with the elements will have far more nutrients in it than your handful of root tabs. I have 12litres of amazonia as my substrate

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The balance for every tank is different sk3lly, yes you're right on a lot of things I'm just outlining my understanding of nutrients and algae. About the root tab bit, I had previously put too many tabs in and have since been using a lot less. Since using less I'm still getting the same growth across my tank as before just without the large amount of diatoms covering lower levels of glass and in amongst my fluval strat substrate.

The balance for every tank is different sk3lly, yes you're right on a lot of things I'm just outlining my understanding of nutrients and algae. About the root tab bit, I had previously put too many tabs in and have since been using a lot less. Since using less I'm still getting the same growth across my tank as before just without the large amount of diatoms covering lower levels of glass and in amongst my fluval strat substrate.

Of course the balance is different. Same as the nutrient levels needed will vary tank to tank.

I'm not here to dissuade you from your algae beliefs. Maybe just trying to open your mind to different way of thinking....

KEY QUESTIONS

Why would EI dosing be so popular if it guaranteed excess nitrates and phosphates, in turn causing algae? Don't you think people wouldn't bother with it for that reason?

Going to move onto the diatom issue now. I don't think it's just silicate related. The reason why I think this....

Plenty of people are using cat litter as a deep substrate as it can retain nutrients. Cat litter is made from moler clay. Molar clay is pretty much composed of diatomite. Diatomite is the fossil remains of millions of diatoms. Diatoms use silicates in their make up. Effectively cat litter will leach silicates.

Onto sand. Sand is mainly made up of quartz. Quartz is silicon dioxide. Oh look more silicates!

The key to pretty much all algae growth is an IMBALANCE.

This is usually down to TOO MUCH LIGHTING

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Of course the balance is different. Same as the nutrient levels needed will vary tank to tank.

I'm not here to dissuade you from your algae beliefs. Maybe just trying to open your mind to different way of thinking....

KEY QUESTIONS

Why would EI dosing be so popular if it guaranteed excess nitrates and phosphates, in turn causing algae? Don't you think people wouldn't bother with it for that reason?

Going to move onto the diatom issue now. I don't think it's just silicate related. The reason why I think this....

Plenty of people are using cat litter as a deep substrate as it can retain nutrients. Cat litter is made from moler clay. Molar clay is pretty much composed of diatomite. Diatomite is the fossil remains of millions of diatoms. Diatoms use silicates in their make up. Effectively cat litter will leach silicates.

Onto sand. Sand is mainly made up of quartz. Quartz is silicon dioxide. Oh look more silicates!

The key to pretty much all algae growth is an IMBALANCE.

This is usually down to TOO MUCH LIGHTING

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My mind is open :) maybe if I maintained high tech tanks of your standard I would probably have a better grasp of this.

Oh, appareantly I inspired a diatom-discussion :D .. Turns out it was just some more debris (I recently pulled all my runners out, in a brutal fashion, which left a lot of dirty stuff on top of the sand). I'll siphon and show you in my next update :) .
I had diatoms once, when I put 5goldfish in a 5gallon tank, but please, don't take me back to those dark days of incompetence and ignorance! (They were all released in our pond shortly after). Point is, tank was in start-up when those appeared.
Oh btw, someone suggested nerite snails for clean up, but I heard they dare venture above water?

'Ello, anybody here anymore? I'd like to have an update. How're your fish doing?

Sent via TIE Fighter

Hey there! I didn't think anyone would be interested anymore! :) but as requested, another update (keep in mind I just trimmed two days ago!

Looking great, and for the record were always following for updates, I've linked several people who were wanting to grow a moss wall to this specific thread because you documented it so well from the beginning on.

Update!?! I've recently got a heap of peacock moss in a trade and was wondering if you reckon this would work well for a wall? Already am trying some subwassertang mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey guys! I was abroad for a while, but just got back! The tank is A MESS! Appareantly the timer broke down while I was away, so it has turned into one big algae bloom! I'm getting nerites, shrimp and malaysian trumpets tomorrow hoping to restore the damage. I would really like to share a photo with you guys, but the truth is that it's just nasty right now!
Will postpone update until better days haha!
Peacock moss? I have no experience with that type of moss, so can't really help!
Yet again sorry guys, bear with me!

Hey guys! I was abroad for a while, but just got back! The tank is A MESS! Appareantly the timer broke down while I was away, so it has turned into one big algae bloom! I'm getting nerites, shrimp and malaysian trumpets tomorrow hoping to restore the damage. I would really like to share a photo with you guys, but the truth is that it's just nasty right now!
Will postpone update until better days haha!
Peacock moss? I have no experience with that type of moss, so can't really help!
Yet again sorry guys, bear with me!

No prob! We all have our messy tank days.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Back
Top Bottom