Attempt at moss wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What temp is your tank at? The last remnant of my xmas moss is growing emersed on top of a piece of wood touching the water just enough to stay damp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I honestly have no idea.. My heater is set at 27C , but I have no thermometer in that tank, and it is without lid.. And my little thermometer in my 30g has just died. There's no way to actually now. It feels kinda warm, so I guess it's at the 27 range.
I heard it likes cooler water, but it's still doing allright.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

How did you atttach the canvas to the back wall? Im growing a moss mat thats doing really good so im thinking about trying a wall.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

@MichaelM, the canvas is not really attached. It's held in place by my additional clip-on light (which I use in the evening).

This way I can easily detach the moss wall from it's place.. I recently did this to get rid of all the debris stuck between the moss (I really need some shrimp).

Alright thanks any ideas how to keep it on the back without a clip on light?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well you can just use any clipping device really! :) I think I heard of somebody glue-ing the canvas to the back of the tank!

It's been a while again! So time for a little update I'd say! :)

I think it kinda looks dull atm, I'm on the look-out for an easy to grow red plant that would colour this aquarium up a bit. Keep in mind: no co2, only EI-dosing and glut. Any suggestions? :)

My crypts turn red under high light, but I'm not sure of the exact species. Might be cryptocoryne undulata or cryptocoryne wendtii but I don't really know. Very pretty though. The moss wall is coming along very nicely! Too bad that algae is growing in the algae. I'm actually doing this in my nano tank as well.

It's not algae :) you'll learn soon enough that the wall acts as a secondary filter piece, it catches all sorts of debris (betta-poo, uneaten flakes). My shrimp got eaten by the betta, so I have to manually 'groom' the moss each week and get rid of debris.

Certainly looks like some brown algae up front in that tank. Brown algae/diatoms whatever people like to call it

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Aaaah yes, I see what you mean. I actually should get like a snail or something to clear uneaten flakes and some algae, my betta doesn't venture to the bottom for food.

Any snails that don't require a lid, eat algae/diatoms, don't eat moss?

Moss wall looking like it needs a trim ;) looks great though.

Cut back your feeding maybe? There maybe an excess amount of phosphates in your food causing the diatoms.

If phosphates are the main cause for diatoms, then it's probably my EI-dosing. I recently doubled my dose of KH2PO4 :D

If phosphates are the main cause for diatoms, then it's probably my EI-dosing. I recently doubled my dose of KH2PO4 :D

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure excess phosphates can result in diatoms. What plants do you have in the substrate they look to be mostly root feeders?

Yes they are, it's a close relative to echinodorus tenellus. I had roottabs under them but decided to take those out, they were sending runners everywhere. Even now, without any tabs, they continuesly send out runners.

Yes they are, it's a close relative to echinodorus tenellus. I had roottabs under them but decided to take those out, they were sending runners everywhere. Even now, without any tabs, they continuesly send out runners.

I think just cut back on the phosphates, scrap the diatoms off the glass and do a larger then normal water changes for a week or two and see if there's less algae growing.

Ive never heard of phosphates causing diatoms. Not sure where this has come from.

Excess nutrients are not the cause of algae in planted tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think it's excess silicate that can result in diatoms?? Phosphates are the imaginary culprit in gsa..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom