Attempting Simple Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lanc1988

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank and I have been researching alot on going to real plants. I want to stick with easy low light plants (java ferns, anubias, etc). I recently purchased some mopani driftwood for looks and because some of the plants can grow on it.

Anyway, my main question is the lighting. I am very confused by all of this. All I know is I apparently need at minimum 1 watt per gallon of full spectrum light (about 6700K). I really don't want to get a whole new light fixture at this time so I was hoping to get by with just replacing the fluorescent bulb in my hood. The bulb that came with it is only 20 watts. Most of the fluorescent bulbs I have been finding on amazon.com, petsmart, etc are less watts than what I have but say they are good for plants. For example:
Aqueon® T5 Fluorescent 6.7K Lamp - Lighting & Hoods - Fish - PetSmart

So.. I was hoping I could get some recommendations on what bulb to get so I don't end up wasting alot of money and the plants die. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom