Avoided midnight disaster....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yikes! I just went inside to watch a netflix show on my computer when I looked over and realized that my Co2 bubble counter was completely full of water. I looked carefully at it to see it had a leek in the seal and that even tho the bubbles were still going into the tank, water was slowly entering the counter bottle. It was siphoning itself out! I removed the counter bottle and now have it bubbling straight into the tank. I am curious as to how you route your tubing to avoid auto-syphon-total-disaster-type-things from happening. :D Thank goodness I caught it. Thought I'd throw this out there for everyone to consider!:uhoh:

An airline check valve should work.

Sorry.... lol

Glad you caught it before sleep. I have nightmares of draining tanks...

diy co2? if so you can simply put it above the tank. also remember to get a brass check valve since the co2 will eat away at the plastic.

MG, who sells brass check valves? All I can find are plastic ones and well my DIY CO2 is working just fine.

MG, who sells brass check valves? All I can find are plastic ones and well my DIY CO2 is working just fine.

Amazon.com: CO2 Brass Check Valve: Kitchen & Dining

CO2 will degrade the plastic check valves, but to me it's easier (and cheaper) to simply replace them every other fill or so. Unless you're running a calcium reactor on a reef system I don't think the risk vs. reward is there. It's soooo much slower of a degradation in a DIY or even pressurized FW application. I do agree that they are overall safer though. Just a bit of overkill IMO.

Back
Top Bottom