Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thumbs down Avoiding Heat Waves

So over the weekend, the outdoor temperatures rose to the 90's, and I keep my windows open in my apartment since I currently don't have AC. The temperature flux caused my fish tank water to get too hot and all my dwarf shrimp died. It never occurred to me that the water might get too hot before.

Since then I have looked into chilling systems for tanks, and decided they are too expensive. I am torn between keeping a plant-only tank for now, or trying products such as these:

Amazon.com: Zoo Med Aqua Cool Aquarium Cooling Fan: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Clip Stik Two-Speed Ultra-Slim Desk Fan, White: Office Products

Does anyone have any experience with these? Could I theoretically stack up multiples of the Zoo Med Cooling fan and multiples of the Lasko Desk Fan?

Any other options or products I should check out?

Old 06-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fans blowing across the waters surface works, you just need to keep on top of evaporation. I've heard of people putting ice in a clean ziplock bag and floating it in the tank. I've seen the ZooMed fan at my Petco, but no experience.

An AC unit would be cheaper and do more for you and your fish than a chiller IMO.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
A fan will increase evaporation and help to lower the water temp as heat is
drawn away by the evaporating vapor. However, it may not lower the water temp a drastic amount

I agree with Mr. Limpet on ice in a ziplock bag as a good alternative, especially if an AC is not an option. A combo of fan and ice would be my choice.

Tags
aquarium temperature, cooling systems, eat, heat, shrimp tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com