Away on holiday 8 days - unattended high tech tank tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fredje

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'll be away on holiday with wife and kids as of next Fri for 8 days.
My tank is heavily planted, medium stocked 50g/180l, with 1000l/h filtering, pressurized CO2 and 10h/day strong light (see pic).

I was thinking of doing a 50% WC the day before I leave and fish should be fine with my auto-feeder, but not sure what to do about plant ferts.

My experience with a high tech tank has been that it takes very little to go wrong to get BBA all over the tank in a matter of days.

Should I consider things like reducing the lighting to 8h/day and/or removing the reflectors to slow down the tank as a precaution?
Or am I worried over nothing?

Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 78
I'd reduce lighting to 6 hours a day and of course run the CO2 less and you could always put ferts in an auto doser OR depending on how you dose your ferts you could dose them all at once but at 1/2 the amount you normally use. If you cut down the hours on the lights and CO2 cutting down on the ferts will be good.

I researched this topic before just in case I have to leave for extended periods of time... Reducing light photoperiod to 6 hours or even less... And, you can put in slow release root tabs to help with fertilization while you're gone.

Great, I'll slightly OD ferts right before I leave, push in some root tabs and reduce light & CO2 to 6 hours!

Must also not forget to take the RFI away, because I found out a while ago a grid failure will also trigger it...

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom