babytear problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slicknick54

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The tips of the baby tears are turning white. They get direct sun in the morning could that b a problem? Tank is almost two months old has always got morning sun but never had a problem with algae. Has a little bit of soil and capped

ForumRunner_20131006_205103.jpg

with white pool filter sand. Been running DIY cO2 for almost a month. 2 cups of sugar with a little yeast.

Not really sure that its bleaching, but rather some kind of nutrient deficiency. Are you dosing any fertilizers? Can't really see much in the pictures...

Yea my camera sucks.. and no I never did. Could I get fertilizer at PETCO? And is it pricy? I just thought I could depend on the soil to feed the plants... and also for the lighting its like an LED strip light under 10 Watts. I found out baby tears need high light after I purchased this one. But the babytears keep growing someway somehow. If I stop the cO2 will the babytears die?

Yea my camera sucks.. and no I never did. Could I get fertilizer at PETCO? And is it pricy? I just thought I could depend on the soil to feed the plants... and also for the lighting its like an LED strip light under 10 Watts. I found out baby tears need high light after I purchased this one. But the babytears keep growing someway somehow. If I stop the cO2 will the babytears die?

You can try using seachem flourish comprehensive and api leaf zone together. Dwarf baby tears need high light, regular baby tears are good for what you have. Do you have a liquid test kit? Do you know where your nitrate levels are at?

Oh, and even if you have a great camera, AA decreases image quality when you upload. It's always hard to get clear pics on here... ;)

OK got it lol and no I don't. I have been doing 10 percent water changes almost every day now because the driftwood keeps Browning the water. Either that or soil is escaping the sand? But PETCO tests my water for free its been good so far. ...By the way the driftwood ludwigia and the baby tears all came from the St Johns river here in central Florida. I just find aquatic stuff and throw it in there...

That's cool man, next time you might wanna do a peroxide dip on any found plants... Just to be safe so you don't get any nasty hitch hikers. I'd also invest in the liquid test kit, just to be safe. Petco will tell you it's okay and it might not really be all that great. Remember, majority of the time they're just employees, not fish keepers. ;)

OK. And I was thinking the exact same thing because they didn't know anything about fertilizer. plants .co2 and they told me I should never do water changes because the fish poop will feed the plants -_- lol but hey I greatly appreciate your time bro!!!

That looks like a massive micronutrient deficiency, which sucks because it won't correct itself when you introduce ferts. It could also be nitrates, which will correct.

Also, if you're using CO2 and trying to grow something like HC, you really should be looking at dry ferts.

Back
Top Bottom