Back to square one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm using a fluval fx6 canister filter. I have heard about people taking filter pads or objects from other tanks to help with the process. Have you tried any of this? Also I love the reference

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definitely. If you can get a gunky piece of filter media to add to your canister that will greatly speed up the process. I keep extra sponge filters in some of my tanks just for this purpose.

I have a buddy with a tank I should be able to get a piece from

The water companies use chlorine and chloromines to stop bacteria growing in our drinking water. Once you remove this with a tap safe conditioner it allows the growth of bacteria as long as they have a food source. Its all about step by step processes that require patience. Getting filter media from an established tank is a great idea as it will give you the bacteria needed. They will then spread to your own filter media

So on that note iv read that I have to do water changes during this processes should I treat my water before adding it to my tank or will I be ok just adding the water then treating it

I'll have too look into that. But my water changes will be quite large so it might be a pain to treat prior

I WC with a bucket ( no fancy python for me) and I treat each bucket as I go. Some forum members treat the whole tank but that may be when using a python and not being able to treat the water before it hits the tank. So it depends on how much water you change and using which method.

How long does it normally take you to do your water changes and what size tank do you have if you don't mind

When you fill each bucket and then add chemicals do you wait 15 mins before pouring it in the tank

Back
Top Bottom