Background plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesyboy11

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i have an oscar and a blood parrot, i want some nice tall back ground plant, i have an anubius and some moneywort in there but i wanna turn it into an extremly planted aquarium, sooo please help me:)

Well, I've been looking at plants lately, and the hygrophylia family grows quite tall and is also large. There is many variations as well so you can mix it up. I'll be on the lookout and let you know what else I come across.

With the oscar I think you will need to try something anchored (probably in a pot) and you may have to go with a "nasty" plant tonhe wont eat it. I dont know if they are plant eaters like other cichlids though. You could try onion grass like from petsmart I guess.

had an Oscar that would decide to redecorate his tank every night at 3 am 8 inch. id hear gravel hitting the sides of the tank and all plastic plants were up rooted he even moved a 3 lbs rock to a place of his liking think my 4 inch pleco gave him a hand at that one. so I would recommend a large heavy gravel substrate or bare bottom tank and zero plants. they will destroy a tank when they get upset and they do develop quite the personalities too
good luck

Ive had my oscar for a little while and i have 5 or 6 plants and he hasnt pulled anyout so far

had an Oscar that would decide to redecorate his tank every night at 3 am 8 inch. id hear gravel hitting the sides of the tank and all plastic plants were up rooted he even moved a 3 lbs rock to a place of his liking think my 4 inch pleco gave him a hand at that one. so I would recommend a large heavy gravel substrate or bare bottom tank and zero plants. they will destroy a tank when they get upset and they do develop quite the personalities too good luck
that's awesome!! I want one even more now!!!

I've been doing some reading, and read that like everyone has said, cichilids dig up plants, but ferns and swords have a strong root structure which makes them ldeal. I personally have a java fern and it's very low maintenance and easy to care for.

Back
Top Bottom