balancing ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
rex's planted tank guide recommends
nitrates 10-20ppm
phosphates 1-2ppm
iron .1-1ppm
potassium 10-20ppm

if my nitrates are 40ppm and up. do i have to up my other ferts to balance them all out?

The only one you have to increase is the phosphate. Nitrates and phosphates should be in a 10-1 ratio. So if nitrates are 10 ppm then phosphate should be 1 ppm. If nitrates are 20 ppm, then phosphates should be 2 ppm and so on. The iron and potassium should be dosed based on the water volume and not the nitrate amount.

What do you think is causing your high nitrate level? Water changes once a week, correct nitrate dosing, correct stocking levels, and a moderately planted tank should eliminate high nitrate levels.

i live next to a farm and have well water. my nitrates come out of my well at least 40 ppm and phosphates 0ppm.

Wow! The highest level I have heard of nitrates in public water is around 5 ppm. How are your fish doing? They must be acclimated to it by now.

its well water due to run off from the farm. my fish have seemed to acclimate ok. havent really had any problems other than i know what my nitrates are and cant get them to drop, and a slight algae prob.

Back
Top Bottom