Bamboo clippings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastfly48

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all, and everyone else...bad joke. :roll:

ok well I was looking at my tank tday (big surprise) and randomly thought of adding some bamboo clippings into the mix. I have some bamboo in the garden and I though that perhaps I coulsd cut off some (with-out the leaves) and stick it in my gravel in the tank...to give a kind of vertical element to the aqua-scape. I've seen some stores growing bamboo in thier tanks, but I don't want to grow it I just want to use some clipppings from the garden as ornements. So is this this possible?
I'm gussing the problems would be:
= the bamboo leaching nutrients from the water or polluting the water
= keeping the shoots in the gravel, though a wieght will fix that...
= the life span of the bamboo and how long it qould last in water...

I would clean the clippings up really well and leave them in boilinf water for a week or two.
Hope does this all sound?
I don't know what kind of bamboo we have but (obviously) it's not aquatic, but that's ok becasue I'm not looking to grow it or anything.

Any help/advice would be super duper.
Keep it cool
Ryland :)

Its best to use a bamboo that is already dead,they should sell some at graden store and such.Then you should coat the bamboo with a aquarium safe varnish or silicone to prevent it from rotting as fast and leaching nutrients.Also to sink it I only heard to silicone it to the bottom of the auqarium or to a piece of glass then cover the piece of glass with the substrate.HTH

Thanks for that Fishy55

You said.."prevent it from rotting as fast". Does this mean that even if I buy dead bamboo and seal it that it will still rot? Or does "as fast" mean, like, years?
Anyways, I'll give it a crack and see what happens.
Thanks again for your help.
Ry.

I think it'll still rot, but it'll probably take at least a year imo. Just a guess but I don't hink you'll be replacing them too often if you seal them well.

Yeah if you seal them they won't rot as fast as they would un sealed.With sealing they could maybe last a few years to a few months is un sealed.

thanks for all that guys.
So has anyone actually tried it? do you think it could look any good?
I'm hoping so...
anyways, thanks again.
cheers.
Ry.

i think a couple people have. i was thinking about doing this, but dont really have that much of a supply over here :(. if you have like an open top you can grow the bamboo, but that could look messy.

you could try mangroves?

Mongroves roots get awfully big and I think the leaves have to stay above the surface of the water.They also need high light I think,but other than that they absorb large amount of nutrients.

I'm not sure about the qualities of dead "fixed" bamboo. It may prove to be a really nice aquacaping tool, but I could be completely wrong. We here in the U.S. don't have the advantage of getting to experiment with such cool new plants. If you're willing to be a test pilot for us, give it a shot and watch your water parameters. It may be that it doesn't deteriorate at all. That would be wicked, but I can't say that it will really happen. If you've got an adventurous spirit and a tank to try it on, go for it man. Just keep an eye on your water parameters, just in case it craps out on you. Keep us updated :D

Cheers for that Trav

I will give it a crack and see what happens....heck I could even post some pictures of it for you! yep, I'm going for it...wish me luck!

Ryland.

ps. I'll keep you posted!

Back
Top Bottom