BANGAR's 46g bowfront build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANGAR

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've finally moved out of my parents. Finally finished the stand and canopy. Finally ordered my plants. Finally dirted the tank. And finally got it up and running!!!!!

So here it goes folks the specs:

303-b canister filter (wit da UV sterilizer)

60g tetra whisper air stone

Quad 24" HO T5s

55 gallon marineland "visitherm" heater

Custom maple-plywood stand and canopy.

Plants thus far:

Apongegeton ulvaceus x2
Dwarf sag
Microswords
Crinum calimustratum
Water wisteria (barely made it)
Ludwigia repens
And the African tiger lotus was crushed in the mail :(
Still waiting for Dustin to email me back about that.

Anyways it's half black gravel half sand. Haven't added any fish yet because it's still cycling.

But check it out guys! It's kind of a cliff aquascape

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Try using a file hosting site like Imgur or Photobucket and paste the link for the pic. I do this with imgur.

Following along :)

Caleb

Interested to see the pics when that function is working again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a sunsun 303-b* canister filter

The tannins have started leaching, and water changed have begun.
No fish yet, I've got my guppies in a big plastic storage thing hah
How many days should I let the tank cycle before I start adding fish??

That depends on your test kit readings. Are you wanting to do fish in cycling or cycling with ammonia liquid from the hardware store?

That depends on your test kit readings. Are you wanting to do fish in cycling or cycling with ammonia liquid from the hardware store?

Well I've read that the soil releases ammonia when it first mineralizes.

Well I've read that the soil releases ammonia when it first mineralizes.

Some substrates do this and it can provide the bacteria an ammonia source for a while but maybe not through the whole cycle. Henceforth needing to add an ammonia source.

You need to use a liquid test kit to monitor how the cycle works.

If you don't understand the Nitrogen Cycle I have a whole spiel typed up about it I can post.

Caleb

Nahhhh that's okay Caleb, I've read a lot about the nitrogen cycle! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442365522.013752.jpg

Here's an update: did another huge water change today, planted the ludwigia and rest of the dwarf sagg. Hooked up the air stone and put in some more rocks and got the t5s running on a 4 hour photo period. Still abit cloudy but ah well

I also added some API CO2 booster to get the plants goin.
Anyone else tried this stuff out?

Some substrates do this and it can provide the bacteria an ammonia source for a while but maybe not through the whole cycle. Henceforth needing to add an ammonia source.

You need to use a liquid test kit to monitor how the cycle works.

If you don't understand the Nitrogen Cycle I have a whole spiel typed up about it I can post.

Caleb

Actually Caleb, I guess I do have one question on my canister filter for you. I set it up after my first my first water change, when there was still a lot of dirt floatin around. Should I leave it or clean it???

Actually Caleb, I guess I do have one question on my canister filter for you. I set it up after my first my first water change, when there was still a lot of dirt floatin around. Should I leave it or clean it???

This is your own decision, if it is harboring GPH then yes. If it's just a little dirty do at your own choice. I clean my canister like every 2-3 months.

Caleb

Update! A week ago I added 9 guppies! 2 adults 7 juveniles. Today I purchased 4 skunk corydoras and 1 Garra ruffa.

The Garra seems awefully rambunctious so far, and the corys a little bit mellow (they're about an inch long at this point).
Do you guys think they will be more active as they grow larger?

Also I ordered a zilla power center with the 7 day digital timer.
The lights are scheduled M-F to be on 10a-12, 1p-2, and then 6p-8p.

Holy cow guys... So I checked out this "Atlantis tropical fish hatchery" aka cichlids.net in my home town... It's closing down, but it was so dope!

This place is a huge warehouse that has 100+ 40g breeders and probably 20 100 gallons tanks. Unfortunately the guy running the place is closing down the business but I was able to get several cool fish.

6 corydora melanistius, 2 corydora loxozonus. Two large shrimp (need ID on the species), a gudgeon (also need ID help). And two sweet guppies.
They had a lot of African cichlid and a couple rainbow cichlid and jewel cichlids, but I didn't buy any... I've known about this place for a while and so glad I'm I finally checked it out!!! Cheap too lol all those fish for 44$ (all the cash I had on me lol)

Also I took back the skunk corys yesterday cuz I wanted corys with spots lol

Back
Top Bottom