Basic Ferts with Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishinfreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 6.6g finished cycling last week, and the last of the plants I'm putting in it are arriving this week, so I'm hoping to get the first batch of fish soon. Anyways, at some point I will be getting a sp. of neocandria too. The tank is fairly moderately low light, and as of now it has no ferts, although it is dirted. Although my plants won't need them to much, Im looking to start a basic dosing of something beyond root tabs (will be adding those for the crypts in a few weeks), hopefully no more than 1-2x a week as I will have several weeks over the summer where me and my family will be traveling, leaving no one to dose. So, what would you guys recommend as something easy and shrimp safe for me? :thanks:

I'm paranoid with my neos in my low light tank so I add nothing except for root pellets and recently some calcium montmorillonite clay to boost the CA levels. Moss, crypts, and some dwarf sag only in this tank and they are doing fine. Growth is slow.
Now the Amano in my med light tank gets PPS-Pro, Excel, and pressurized CO2.

Neos are pretty hardy. There's nothing in comprehensive that would harm them. To be honest, if you're doing mainly crypts in a low light dirted tank, I probably wouldn't bother to fertilize until you start to see some deficiencies. But like I said, it won't hurt if you want to go ahead and dose.

So basically dosing this http://http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-116051309-Flourish-500ml/dp/B00025696M/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1399073094&sr=1-1&keywords=seachem+flourish 1-2 times a week.
Also beyond crypts, I have some basic stems, DHG (hoping this will make it based on mixed experiences online, Lilaeopsis mauritiana (micro sword), and I'm also trying Downoi. I actually don't know where my lighting puts me, but it is a 6500K 18" T8 on a 24" tank that is 9" deep (closer to 7.5" w/substrate). Would dosing a type of Glut, or others in the Seachem Flourish series, also help? Thanks

Link isn't working for me.

Glut or excel might help, but it'll probably be barely noticeable. I wouldn't bother using it in your case. I'd let the plants grow slow, and worry more about keeping a nice environment for the shrimp. Dirt, root tabs, and flourish comprehensive should be plenty.

The link was just to basic Flourish (not of the specialized ones, which I assume is the comprehensive), I just want to make sure its the right one and I think it is. Thanks for the help Billbug!

I use API Leaf Zone and Flourish comp in my Shrimp tank. I use 1/2 dose excel because I have CRS. I know I can use full dose if I work up to it, I'm just paranoid.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I will, but your saying you use API Leafzone, Flourish Comp, and Excel? Just clarifying.

Alright. Would I be able to do just the Leafzone and comp for macros and micros? Or would the plants not need it all without having dosed carbon, since I'm gonna pass on dosing a type of glut for now.

Yeah you could skip Carbon. Just don't use light more than 6-8 hours. If you see Algae, reduce to 6 hours and check water.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the wild type neocardinas and trust me, they are very very hardy shrimp. Don't worry about using fertilizer with them at all.

Back
Top Bottom