BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay so finally my BML is shipped and on its way!!!! Finally this scape is ready to take off, the tank has been cycling and a bit of diatoms but nothing crazy. I may order some plants tonight any other suggestions on my proposed layout? Still trying to decide on some plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I went with the silver, color wasn't too much of a deal for me. Any suggestions for the background plants?

Dutch spectrum?

Background plants... You can do Rotala species like R. Rotundifolia, R. Colorata, or R. Macrandra. Tall green stems like Pogostemon Erectus. Limnophila Aromatica is an option. Ludwigia sp. Red or Ludwigia Repens. Cambomba is cool. Or if you like tall slender leaves, Cyprus Helferi or Hygrophila Angustofolia

Yes looking more of a dutch style, for the background thinking gold creeping jenny, p. erectus, maybe red myrio/R.Rotundifolia in the center.

The BML arrived today, the plants were supposed to arrive today but did not. Crossing my fingers the package will arrive tomorrow! Once everything is planted I will post updated pics and review the BML.

The tank is officially planted and up and running! Plants from left to right Diandra, Mermaid Weed, Rotala Indica, Red Myrio and Gold creeping jenny. The midground has some downoi (hard to see right now) and S. Repens. The BML is running along side the current sat +. I was a bit disappointed with the 18" BML. When i fired it up I discovered it only has 12" of lights housed in an 18" fixture. I called and told them they need to make their website a bit more clear that this is the case. With the 2 lights together I would say I am safely in the Med-High light range. If you run the lights separately it doesn't really cover the tank. I think this is because I am only running the 18" BML on a 24" tank but since I have the Current + I can get away with it. Feel free to give feedback on the scape and it should be great when it grows in!

That's whack.. it's one thing if it's labeled 12-18" but come on...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thats what I said, I don't really believe the PAR values on there website, but that may be because its a small fixture over a large tank...

How much was it if you don't mind me asking? ?

It was $134 for the 18" and $179 for a 24" and since i still have the other light i figured i could save the money

That's actually not all that bad, I figured much more. . The results should justify the cost..

Sorry to hear you were disappointed. I'd be also if I was expecting 18" of LEDs. I hope it grows on you and if not, doesn't BML have a satisfaction guarantee?

BTW, is this the XB version?

So wait.. if they use 12" panel arrays in their LED fixtures, maybe a 24" would use two panels, so you'd get a substantial increase in LEDs for $45?

This is the original series and when I spoke to Cara she agreed that even with the 12" light combined with my current I'd still be in Medium-High light. By the time I ship this light back and get the 24" with shipping it would be more like $65-70. I am starting to see new growth in the plants except the golden creeping jenny is melting like crazy! I think this light set up will do okay. I have 30 days to decide so ill see how the plants look. One thing I realized is that PAR is not necessarily how bright we perceive the light to be. I found an interesting thread in TPT comparing BML, Finnex, and Current and the BML did seem drastically brighter than the others. But we will see how my plants grow.

Yeah makes sense.. when you add the costs of shipping back and forth, it adds a lot more to the difference. Good luck.. can't wait to see the progress.

If you go off the BML par charts and the Current + par at 18" I should be getting approximately 80 par from the BML and around 20 ish from the planted +. I dont notice to much fall off on the sides so maybe around 70 Par. Solid for medium light.

Back
Top Bottom