Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku View Post
Best way to kill bacteria and other tiny organisms is to bake the sand. The plants will die with sand alone. You will need to add liquid fertilizers and root tabs which contain clay. Also, removing the salt will be a nightmare. If you are looking to spend as little as possible you could get some river sand used for construction purpose. Bake it. You won't need to add fertilizers to the river sand in case of low demanding plants because it has all the nutrients required.

I rinsed then soaked the sand for a few days boiled it soaked it boiled it again then rinsed it
And I got the beach sand because it was all I had access to at the time I donít have the money to throw down on sand when I can go get it for free. But Iím looking into the fertilizers now . There probably wonít be any fish in it anytime soon lol just wanted to have it sat up and ready for when I do get more fish

Old 09-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think what you did is more than fine. Anything alive in the marine sand would more than likely die in a freshwater bucket soak, no?
I dont think the salt in that sand would have been enough to even register on the scale of most hydrometers. Plus with no fish for a while and cycling youll be doing enough WCs to get it out.
Did you pull this from the dry shore or in the water?
In the northeast up here Id be more afraid of toxic chemicals and medical waste getting into my tanks

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com