Beard algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jono

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of beard algae I have c02 injection and my light is only on for 8 hours a day , 4 on 1 off 4 on.
It's a 75 litre tank and I have a twin 18 watt Fluro light with t8 bulbs.
Cheers if anyone can help

This is where people post up pictures of their tanks so that's why you probably not getting any answers. Try and post your threads in the right places to get the right help.

Funny enough it was a severe infestation of bearded algae that got me to redo my goldfish tanks into heavily planted community tanks. However I still had the bba come back. As most would say once it comes you will never be able to get rid of it. But don't give up, all you can do is go at it and try to get rid of it as much as possible. If it gets on your plants, remove them! if it gets on your rocks or other ornaments remove them and scrub it off. Phosphates can also contribute to bba so consider how much you feed and also check the water you are using. You can also try using phosphate removers. I still have not gotten rid of it but I have it very much under control. It's a tough battle...that's just from my experience. I'm no scientist but unfortunately figuring out what is triggering the bba takes time and trials and errors. Good luck.

I also have my lights on 5 off 3 on 5. They say this helps reduce the time for the algae to grow. Hope this helps

Thanks for the help and that was my first thread only joined recently and still figuring it out and I was wondering if it might be my light contributing as its a t8 Fluro what kind of light do you recommend for good plant froth I've heard the t8 isn't very good. And I've attached some pics of my tank thanks again

Attachments

• image-222906459.jpg
    image-222906459.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2245317115.jpg
    image-2245317115.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1305860213.jpg
    image-1305860213.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3817758153.jpg
    image-3817758153.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 94
Thx for the pics. It gives a much better idea of what's going on.

The algae could be coming from a multitude of reasons. To start you could test your tap water to see if there are any potential irregularities like high phosphates. Also how often do you do your water changes? Do you use any nutrient boosters? How much do you feed your fish and what fish do you have?

You have more algae than plants so IMO that algae is consuming more nutrients than your plants. Some people like that algae because it gives a natural look but unless you actually get rid of it, it will never go away. Either you remove you rocks completely or you can try and scrub it but again it will be a lot of maintenance. I still find some in my tanks but as soon as I see it on anything I get rid of it. It has slowed down tremendously since I started to do a few basic things.

I also have heard that T8 are not so good but I think it's really for efficiency. T5s are supposed to be the best. I have T5 on one tank and compact fluorescent on another and they both work fine.

Again if u want to get rid of everything you have a lot of work ahead of you but if you start getting rid of some I think you should get more plants in there...

Hey thanks for the advice and I took too of my rocks out and don't think I will put them back in and I have added 2 new plants to my tank today. I am waiting to recieve my phosphate test kit so I can test my tank and tap water and I did a huge Clean of my tank and water change.

I was dosing my tank with an aqua one plant enhancer but a bit worried it was causing it so am looking to find a better brand I looked at sea chem flourish but still a bit unsure. I feed my fish frozen worms and brine shrimp mix and i dont feed them much at all there is 6 guppies and 2 large catfish .And I clean and do a water change every week
Thanks for helping too its much appreciated and if you have any tips on plant dosing that would be awsome thanks again

Back
Top Bottom