Bearded Alge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skywalker28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the best way to get rid of this stuff in my 54L tank? We left the light on for too long over a week or two and we had a massive bloom. Local fishmeister recommemded the Siamese Alge Eater which has cleaned up a lot, but not all. I also have to dwarf plecos in the tank.

1489470592573.jpg1489470598652.jpg1489470604070.jpg

Looks like staghorn and BBA.
Best way would be to remove as much as you can by hand (with a toothbrush etc) and lower your lighting period to about 6 hours for 2 weeks or so.

Spot treat the BBA (little black tufts) with h2o2 or seachem excel using a syringe. (Just blast little sections). You can spot treat these with 1-2x the recommended dosing of excel.

The glut (from excel or h2o2) in the water colum will also help with the staghorn.

Make sure you trim all plants that look decayed in any way and water change frequently.

Hope this helps!

Looks like staghorn and BBA.
Best way would be to remove as much as you can by hand (with a toothbrush etc) and lower your lighting period to about 6 hours for 2 weeks or so.

Spot treat the BBA (little black tufts) with h2o2 or seachem excel using a syringe. (Just blast little sections). You can spot treat these with 1-2x the recommended dosing of excel.

The glut (from excel or h2o2) in the water colum will also help with the staghorn.

Make sure you trim all plants that look decayed in any way and water change frequently.

Hope this helps!
I spot treated with h2o2 the stag horn & BBA and they seem to be going away. However, I lost my Siamese Alge Eater. Not sure if it was affected by the h2o2 or not. Going to wait on another treatment to see it the remaining goes away with less light.

I also do a 1/3 water change with gravel vacuum per week. I clean the filter tube where the water comes out once a week, and clean the filter maybe once a month. I have been doing this for over a year without issue until I realised we left the light each day, all day for a week. That is when the Alge blew up in the tank.

I also do a 1/3 water change with gravel vacuum per week. I clean the filter tube where the water comes out once a week, and clean the filter maybe once a month. I have been doing this for over a year without issue until I realised we left the light each day, all day for a week. That is when the Alge blew up in the tank.

Larger water changes are always better but if it was working for you then that's fine. The recommended is 1/2 a week.

The light is definitely the cause. Continue the h2o2 treatment untill it's all gone. You need to keep beating it while it's weak!

Both are very hard to get on top of so really hit it hard or they will come back stronger

Larger water changes are always better but if it was working for you then that's fine. The recommended is 1/2 a week.

The light is definitely the cause. Continue the h2o2 treatment untill it's all gone. You need to keep beating it while it's weak!

Both are very hard to get on top of so really hit it hard or they will come back stronger
The h2o2 worked like a champ and I also did a 50% water change. Thank you!1490620733877.jpg

I have tried all the recommendations what have been suggested. From treated with h2o2 and excel with no success at all. I've used a syringe and a spray bottle on the effected areas. Nothing, I mean nothing. I might as well have fertilize the BBA. I have the light dimmed as low as it gets and only have it on for 3-4 hours a day. I've also increased the co2 as recommended.
I taken everything I could out of the tank and bleached the hell out of all the rocks and ornaments. I have Plecostomus and algae eaters but that don't seem to touch the stuff.
I've been searching the internet and show the same treatments.
I'm almost tempted to buy a algaecide. Please help. I'll try anything at this point.
Thanks in advance.

I have tried all the recommendations what have been suggested. From treated with h2o2 and excel with no success at all. I've used a syringe and a spray bottle on the effected areas. Nothing, I mean nothing. I might as well have fertilize the BBA. I have the light dimmed as low as it gets and only have it on for 3-4 hours a day. I've also increased the co2 as recommended.
I taken everything I could out of the tank and bleached the hell out of all the rocks and ornaments. I have Plecostomus and algae eaters but that don't seem to touch the stuff.
I've been searching the internet and show the same treatments.
I'm almost tempted to buy a algaecide. Please help. I'll try anything at this point.
Thanks in advance.

It's very very hard to get rid of. The only thing u can do is continue the h202 or excel zaps and consistent water changes. I'd do 3 25% per week. As soon as u see any remove it straight away. Best to bleach your filter walls and pipes aswell. The key to getting rid of BBA is to be consistent and stay on top of it. Eventually it will fade. Took me months to get rid of all mine

Back
Top Bottom