begginer wanting live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chiefs101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon tank with 1 redtail shark 3 zebra danios 4 tiger barbs and 1 chinese algae eater. I want to add live plants to my tank and i want to know what plants i should get for my first time and what they require

There are two ways that you can approach this. You can either look at your current setup and determine what type plants you can grow in it as is, or you can determine what type of plants you would like to keep and then buy the necessary equipment, etc to make that possible. If you want to stick with your current setup, we're going to need to know a bit more about your tank, most importantly how much light do you currently have?

If you haven't already, take the time to read the stickies at the top of the forum. There is a ton of great information there. Once you've read those feel free to ask if some of it still isn't making sense, and we'll be more than happy to help you get it figured out.

I have one light in the lid i am not sure what kind it is it came with the tank. It is large and long and i have a 30 gallon topfin filter if that matters.
My substrate is the regular black gravel stuff i dont know what it is called and i would like to keep that if at all possible .My goal is to spend the least amount of money as possible. If i have to buy a few things i can dew.

With your setup, it's probably the same tank I got. First, I would get a brand new bulb if that bulb has been running for a year or more. It's best to replace bulbs in planted tanks at least once a year, and some do more often.

With the setup you have, you could do low light plants without much problems. Plants like java moss, java ferns, anubias, etc. Here'sa link to some low light plants that you might like....

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Low_Light_Plants_s/25.htm

Also, some of the plants, such as the java moss and java ferns, you can attach them to rocks, decor, ordriftwood, by tying them on with thread or fishing line. After a short time, they will attach themselves and you can then remove the thread or fishing line. Another benefit of this is you can get some of th eplants a little closer to the light as well, by tying it onto a piece of driftwood, etc.

As for dosing, in a low light tank, about all you really need to dose is Potassium. You can even dose a little Flourish Excel as well, it's just another carbon source which can be used in place of CO2 injection. And if you do regular water changes, you may not even need to dose your micros, as the water change will supply those for you. But if you plant a little heavier, then you may want to dose micros as well.

One other thing as well, root tabs. If you have plants in the gravel, place a root tab under each, like Flourish Tabs. That will give added nutrients to the roots.

And most importantly, read the Stickies on here. You will learn lots.

Sorry newbie here with plants how do u dose it with potassium and the flourish excel i dont know what that is. Sorry again these are probably really stupid questions.

Don't feel sorry, those are valid questions. That's how we all learn....

As for the dosing, you usually can find these in your lfs, and if not, can order them online from www.bigalsonline.com

As for the dosing, it says on the bottle as to how to dose. This is for Flourish Excel. For my 29G, my initial dose was a whole capful the first day, and then after that, the daily dose I do is a half of a capful. So that's what you would be doing if your tank has quite a few plants. If only a few plants, I'd only do a 1/4 capful daily. Just a side note also, if you decide to dose Excel, then you don't want to get vals or anacharis, as those plants in particular, will melt and die if you dose with Excel. Pretty much all other plants will flourish with the addition of Excel.

As for potassium, in my 29G, I dose with Flourish Potassium, which if you lfs doesn't have it, can also be ordered from Big Al's. As for the dosing, I dose 3 capfuls twice a week. That should give you your Potassium requirements. If heavier planted, then I'd probably go to 3 1/2 capfuls.

And for trace, you may want to get Flourish Comprehensive if you are going to plant more heavily. If lightly planted, then just normal water changes give you your traces. It also has the dosing instructions on the bottle if you do decide on it.

thanks a lot. Now i feel more comfortable with getting plants. You have been a big help

It's basically pretty simple with low light plants. Your fish will provide most of the major nutrients, with the exception of Potassium, which is why you will need to dose Potassium. And Excel is just a carbon source, which is just an added help, but not necessary. And when planted, you won't need to gravel vac as much. The plants will appreciate some of the crud by their roots, lol. Then if you decide to graduate to higher lighting and more plants, read the stickies sevral times. There is an awful lot of great info in there. Look at both the stickies for planted tanks as well as the stickies for lighting.

Didnt think about asking but how do i clean the bottom of the tank without upprooting the plants

Just hover over the plants and/or gravel to get any excess waste. The rest will settle into the gravel and feed the plants as Lonewolfblue said.

Back
Top Bottom