Beginner: Can you help with plant identification?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hjsvt

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started a new 10g tank the beginning for January with some plants I purchased at a chain store. I purchased 2 bunches of 3 plants. Of course I have no idea what they are or what they need for care. So I'm trying to figure that out after the fact. I think one is either Amazon Sword, Oriental Sword or maybe Red Flame? Another I thought was bamboo but I can't seem to find out any information about bamboo in aquariums so maybe I'm mistaken. I have no idea what the long variegated leaf plant is I can't seem to find it on any of the sites I've looked. I've attached some photos to help out. They aren't the best but hopefully you get the idea.

I upgraded to a 30g tank today and want to do a better job of researching and setting it up correctly this time. I picked up two bags of Carib Sea Flora Max at Petsmart today. They didn't have the Eco complete which is what I wanted. Will this work as well? Also got two bags (24lbs) for the 30 gallons which is a little less than the 1 lb/per gallon recommendation. Would you suggest getting another bag? If I had to order a bag is it okay to mix the Eco complete and the Flora Max?

So lighting. I purchased a used set up today that has this hood and LED light.
http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Li...1&keywords=30+gallon+tank+hood+with+LED+light
Is that enough light for my low to moderate beginner plants or do I need more? I take it the 2 watts per gallon doesn't necessarily pertain to LED lights. If I need more do you know of a light that will fit this hood and do what I need?

Thanks so much for the help! I appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_0525 web.jpg
    IMG_0525 web.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0527 web.jpg
    IMG_0527 web.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0528 web.jpg
    IMG_0528 web.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 63
I really cannot comment on the lighting (no experience with it) but the plants might be semi-aquatic and not truly aquatic (Dracenea species). That means they will survive in the tank for a limited amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, purchased non-submergable plants. No biggie, it happened to me too when I bought my first plant. Lessons were learned: don't listen to store clerks and do your own research.
Now for the plants, they'll usually last 3months and then they'll rot. If you have a HOB-filter you can plant them in there. If not, i would suggest to plant it in a pot indoors, or disregard it.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

The one with the white trim on the leaves is called White Ribbon. Again it's not a fully submersible plant. I made the same mistake and I have it growing in a smaller tank with the leaves coming out of the water now.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thank you Fresh2o, F.Sam and ImACoolguy. Lots of mistakes my first go around but I'm learning lots now! Thanks for the help with the identification. So what is the third plant? Is it semi-aquatic too? I thought it might be Amazon Sword but I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom