Beginner...needs advice starting planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brybell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I recently got a 20gal tank, filled with a substrate for plants and some other gravel.

I conditioned the water, set up the filter and heater.

I got one medium sized sword, and it looked ok on Friday but now it looks brownish in some spots.

I am doing a fishless cycle, but havent started yet because im waiting for my test kit from amazon.

My question is should i get some fertilizer or something for plants before i get my test kit?

Thanks!!!

What type of lighting does your tank have?
What type of substrate does it have?
Can you post a picture of the plant?

Generally if you have a "medium lighted tank" you will need to add both fertilizers and a carbon source to stave off large algae blooms.

The substrate was caribsea flora max.

light says aqueon full spectrum 15W 18"

thanks!

im buying a digital thermometer, right now i only have a stick on. it reads 80 currently.

image-920442745.jpg

image-93635515.jpg

It sounds like you have a single t8 light in your tank. With that you might have to upgrade your lighting system to keep the swords. With a single t8 bulb you will have a low light level which will be able to successfuly grow any type of anubias, java fern, java moss, bolbitis, and some cryptocorynes. The swords tend to be a medium light requirement plant.

It could also be going through an adjustment period. I've had 5 or 6 plants just about die and then come roaring back with crazy growth right before I got ready to toss them out.

It sounds like you have a single t8 light in your tank. With that you might have to upgrade your lighting system to keep the swords. With a single t8 bulb you will have a low light level which will be able to successfuly grow any type of anubias, java fern, java moss, bolbitis, and some cryptocorynes. The swords tend to be a medium light requirement plant.

It could also be going through an adjustment period. I've had 5 or 6 plants just about die and then come roaring back with crazy growth right before I got ready to toss them out.

Ok thanks, are there any better bulbs I could use without upgrading the lighting system?

I thought I read swords could do ok in lower light. What about microswords?

and as for fertilizer...what should I purchase and should I add any before testing ph and kh etc?

I really appreciate the help!! :)

There really isn't anything you can do without upgrading the ballast on the light which i'm not really sure about exactly how to do that properly.

The swords might do just fine, it's hard to say right now. As for fertilizer the swords are heavy root feeders so as long as you have that substrate they should be fine. Like I said, they are likely going through an adjustment period. I would give it a week or 2 and then start worrying about it.

You could replace the t8 with a pair of GE daylight 26w CFL bulbs AMD put tuem in the dome reflectors or even diy them into your existing hood and depending on the distance you mount them from the tank would give you enough light to easily grow most plants. And for the amazon sword it looks as it is still in its emersed form as new submersed growth comes in the old emersed growth will start to go away it will look like its dying but he patient and stick a good quality root tablet directly under it about every month and a half. Oh and you may want to spread them apart some if you upgrade the lighting and get them happy they can grow big and fast. Here's a link to the bulbs you can also get them at ace hardware and home depot. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002YEXMUK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1373867948&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Last edited:
You could replace the t8 with a pair of GE daylight 26w CFL bulbs AMD put tuem in the dome reflectors or even diy them into your existing hood and depending on the distance you mount them from the tank would give you enough light to easily grow most plants. And for the amazon sword it looks as it is still in its emersed form as new submersed growth comes in the old emersed growth will start to go away it will look like its dying but he patient and stick a good quality root tablet directly under it about every month and a half. Oh and you may want to spread them apart some if you upgrade the lighting and get them happy they can grow big and fast. Here's a link to the bulbs you can also get them at ace hardware and home depot. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002YEXMUK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1373867948&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Cool thanks. And what dome reflector?

Like a clamp light its just a metal cone with the bulb in it

oh ok yeah. So i could point them in from the side or something? I dont wanna invest in co2 yet...so would just one be enough for "low-light"?

Also, is getting an air pump with some air stones necessary?

They would still go above it you can adjust the distance from the water. And no unless you are dosing a co2 suppliment bubblers are bad for planted tanks.

Back
Top Bottom