beginner plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chelseachuy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey so I have a 29 gallon tank fully stocked. I was interested in some plants but I want simple plants that I wont have to do much maintenance too . I am interested in something that will carpet the gravel and maybe a floating plant. Any advice I should start off with ?

Carpets are a bit more difficult and require a highter wpg usually.

For beginner plants, java ferns, java moss, anubias, hornwort are all good options.

There are literally tons of choices. Hornwort is floating but grows quickly and will require pruning, but it is very easy to prune. Java ferns, java moss and the anubias are all very easy to keep.

ohh really i love the way carpet looks! its the light that came with the aqauen 29 gallon set.

Aqueon » Basic Aquarium Kit | Products

I'd say that would work for very low light plants. Even with java moss you're not gonna get much growth for a carpet effect. What do you have for substrate?

I'd suggest starting with some basic plants and see how you like it. If the green bug bites you, then look at upgrading your lighting.

I agree with those above...you won't have many plant choices with the stock lighting. It is probably a 20 watt bulb at the most. You could try the ones that Zagz and Mr. Limpet suggested and see how they do. If they grow well and you like them, consider upgrading the lighting for a better selection and maybe even a carpet or grassy plant. Until then, a carpet plant won't survive.

hey so i got three plants today. i think one is Cabomba and Anacharis and some sort of floating plant. they were just called "bunched plants" in the store. one thing im confused about that they didn't have long roots to bury them in the gravel. so i just stuck them between the rocks. i just have basic gravel as my substrate. i would like to invest in a better light how do i go about that any recommendations ? what should i be looking for.

Chelseachuy said:
hey so i got three plants today. i think one is Cabomba and Anacharis and some sort of floating plant. they were just called "bunched plants" in the store. one thing im confused about that they didn't have long roots to bury them in the gravel. so i just stuck them between the rocks. i just have basic gravel as my substrate. i would like to invest in a better light how do i go about that any recommendations ? what should i be looking for.

Depending which Cabomba, you need from med to very high light to keep it healthy and growing. Yep, just stick them in the gravel/sand and they'll root.

Here's a link to Cabomba: http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_search.php?search=cabomba&type=Search

Here's a link to good lighting: www.fishneedit.com

The stems will do fine in basic gravel. Plant them at a bit of an angle and the will root and stay down. Spread them out a bit so light gets to the bottom. Get yourself 2.5-3 watts a gallon and the cabomba and anacharis will grow faster than you thought was possible.

I have anacharis and green cabomba in several different lighting conditions ranging from med-high to low to outdoors.

They definitely do better in higher lighting. In low light they tend to just stunt and grow really bushy

Ok I just got a 29gal and want to do carpet was going to upgrade to a t-5 light and do root tabs does that sound ok or do I need to do a co2 set up I have no clue about co2 and would I need more that a t-5? Maybe a t-5HO? Ty for UR help

hey so i got a flora sun light bulb it gives my tank more of dramatic look and brings out the colors of my fish. it is 24" 610 mm 17 watts T8 not sure what all of it means but i thought it might help lol. i added a new addition "narrow leaf chain sword" left it in its little pot thing. i really love the way the plants look in the tank!

the single t8 might not do a whole lot for the plants but you it might just sustain them. As far as WPG goes, I wouldn't go by it at all, t5 lighting really throws the whole WPG thing for a loop and shooting for the standard 2-3 or higher wpg will just make an algae farm.

hey so i got a flora sun light bulb it gives my tank more of dramatic look and brings out the colors of my fish. it is 24" 610 mm 17 watts T8 not sure what all of it means but i thought it might help lol. i added a new addition "narrow leaf chain sword" left it in its little pot thing. i really love the way the plants look in the tank!

The 17w is gonna work on low light plants and that's about it IMO. The sword needs med light to grow, but the low light might keep it green. I generally take them out of the pots, but it might work.

Here's a link to your sword plant:

PlantGeek.net - Echinodorus tenellus

If you want a lawn (glosso, babu tears, etc), then high lights, ferts and co2 are the only option. As for algae, it'll grow in low light tanks too if you don't have the proper balance. Been there, done that lol.

When I started out with live plants I had trouble getting them to grow to my satisfaction. I switched to T5HO lights and the darn things took off! I had to take a trip and was gone for a month and when I got back I found the anacharis I had planted and trimmed at 8" was almost 2 feet long! My other plants took off as well and my poor tank was so overgrown I was cutting out handfulls of the greenery to put into my betta tanks. I also found that my fish had gotten 'busy' in there and I found over 40 fry and several small ghost shrimp.

The lighting makes a huge difference in your plants although I'm not sure if it's the wattage, the lumens or something else that makes that difference. I do know that the spectrum output can have an effect, so make sure your lights will do what you want them to do. Many stores sell 'aquarium lights' but they arent worth the packaging they come in.

Good luck! (y)

I am interested in something that will carpet the gravel and maybe a floating plant. Any advice I should start off with ?

I dont have any experience with carpeting the gravel but I have to say to be careful of floating plants. Too many will block the light to the other plants. I would stay away from duckweed (that stuff grows too fast for my taste and it's hard to get rid of unless you have goldfish to feed).

I have a bit of water lettuce that I like except when the roots start breaking off, and a water lily that usually has two or three leaves floating on top. The water lettuce multiplies fairly slowly and seems to be a favorite hiding place for my female bettas.

(y)

Back
Top Bottom