beginner - When do I need CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquascapist

Aquarium Advice Regular
whats up guys?
I have 2 amazon swords, and 3 anubias. don't know exact breed. I also have a zoomed light, two t5 bulbs. I keep three light on for at least 10 hrs. when should I equalize and how do I know when I need co2? the swords are rooted and doing well. I actually just pruned them. I wasnt as heavily planted tank eventually.
thanks

I found your description quite confusing, what does "equalize" mean? What size tank? Any fish? C02 is always an option- you never know when you have to get it, it's just if you think you need it in your tank or not..there are liquid C02 out there like Flourish Excel and API C02 Booster, but I would go with a pressurized system like I have. My 60g is running a 5lb C02 tank at 2 bps and it works fine and keeps the plants healthy, better than the Excel worked for me.

Excel is not liquid CO2... It is a carbon supplement that can help provide a source of carbon in the absence of sufficient CO2 or even in addition to CO2 injection.

Sorry..I guess that's what I meant...I read somewhere that Excel is used in the absence of C02 as you said-I didn't mean it like "liquid C02" lol. I don't think there is a such thing as liquid C02...

Sure there is :) You have some in your 5lb CO2 cylinder. It is a gas at normal atmospheric pressure and temperature, but cool it enough, or compress it enough, and it becomes a liquid. At even higher pressure or reduce the temperature even more, and it becomes a solid (dry ice).

To be honest, I don't believe you ever NEED CO2, unless you're fully planted and fertilizer supplement with a combo of iron and carbon base (just be careful with sand substrates, I'm not sure if it's true or not but I have heard it can cause a silicate reaction) doesn't work OR you are having trouble maintaining leaf color and fish are gasping, this is not from personal experience, however, I have a 10g planted and ferts and grooming keep mine looking good..... Oh and of you're trimming back because of overgrowth you probably don't need CO2, but I am biased.

sorry i'm using an app on my phone do the equalize meant fertilize. lol. and I meant I wasnt a heavily planted tank. I think i'm going to start using a fertilizer with the next plants I put in. i'll try the excel. thanks for the help. any other advice on keeping a successful tank would be appreciated.
thanks again

I like Forty's activity saying. "divided by zero," lol. you must be undefined!

o ya. it's a 40g with 3 angles, 2 rosey barbs, 1 gourami, 1 loach and 2 eclipse catfish. I don't really like my stock right now. I would prefer to add more barbs, and maybe another schooling species like tetras.

Back
Top Bottom