beginners 10g fully planted for my swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
okay, ordered fixture with extra tube along with fert tabs for both the red melon sword and the spirlas.

I also dosed with some flourish excel. Just a half capful during my PWC.

My students just spotted two baby swordtails about 1/8 inch hiding in the sparse plants...I am a papa!!!!

Update:

I received two plants from a guy who said they were med light, plant called what sounded like "krill". The one on the right is a lot whiter than the one on the right but they both look very similar to each other. Does anyone know the official name of these plants?

I am going to put some root tabs under the root balls of the red melon sword and the Spiralis. The baby swordtails hide under the Spiralis root ball, would that poison them?

Last edited:
I don't think it would, but I can't say for sure. I can't really say for sure on the ID of the plant, but it looks almost like a myrio. Not entirely certain though.

Second set of babies. Four survived the from the first batch.

Thanks coyote, the myrio has started sending out white roots on the upper stems so they must be getting enough lights and are somewhat happy.

Update:

Installed 2nd filter, a AquaClear 30 in anticipation of a second tank in the far future running low volume.

Babies running all over.

Waiting for plant order and a few gift shrimp from Severum Mama...Thanks!

Tested water for the first time:
Ammonia <.25
NitrIte 0
NitrAte 0
pH 8.0 which is same as the tap water after sitting out

Running a 24 watt 50/50 cfl for 10 hours

Plants doing well, sending out new leaves, shoots, or roots.

Great to hear! Looks like you're doing well! Just had a number of fry hatch from my peacock gudgeons and they seem to be doing well too.

If you're at all interested in growing the plants in your tank, you can snap off the tops of your plants where the roots are growing out and plant that. I've done that with Myrio, Moneywort, and Anacharis.

Great to hear! Looks like you're doing well! Just had a number of fry hatch from my peacock gudgeons and they seem to be doing well too.

Do you take the babies out of the tank or just let nature take it's course?

Question? I plan to test morning and night for a bit to see the pattern of my water...is that too much? Once a day enough? I just want to make sure I am not over feeding, I guess a spike in ammonia will show I have too much food in the tank?

I actually harvested the eggs before they hatched, as Peacock Gudgeons nest under rocks and such. Our Gudgeons did the same.

Testing morning and night isn't really "too much". To be honest, the more you are able to monitor your tank levels, the sooner you will be able to respond when something goes awry. It's a safer bet than say, testing every couple of days. If you intend to test that often, I recommend keeping a log of Temp, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH if possible, and marking when you do anything different (like a PWC, or water treatment of some sort). I always marked when I added StressZyme, which can cause ammonia to spike a bit.

A spike in ammonia can definitely be an indicator of too much food, but other things as well... Such as a damaged bacterial colony (from too much cleaning/scrubbing inside your tank, overvacuuming the gravel, or replacing your filter if you're using a single-stage cartridge), the addition of new fish that increase the bioload, or certain treatments. I used StressZyme, which has bacteria that speeds up the breakdown of excess materials in the tank, meaning a faster production of ammonia.

I didn't realize you can over vaccum your gravel. I do a 10% water change every other day so far. I vacumm the 10% out of the tank and replace with water that has been out for 24 hours. That is what my research says to do.

I don't think you can over vacuum the gravel...

Rather than 10% every other day, I would do 50% once a week. Will be less work on you, and still a very adequate maintenance plan.

Update:

Set up a 10g with 3 swordtails under a 14w 8000 full spectrum 18" bulb.
Found this site and added 3 plants.

I now have 7 plants, waiting for 7 more, 2 sets of babies with about 10 survivors, and 10 yellow cherry shrimp although I don't see them very often.

Began testing water on April 18th after reading threads at this site.
Tap water has a ph of 8 after sitting out overnight.

Today, 0 ammonia, 0 NitrItes, 10 NitrAtes, I will post picture tonight of the tubes and card.

After reading a thread, I followed the NitrAte testing instructions to the letter.

My thought is that this tank cycled fast (fish-in) if that is what has happened. Since the beginning, I would do a 20% PWC daily. It has been two days since any PWC.

I am getting ready in a couple of days to do a 50% PWC and place some Seachem Flourish Tabs under a couple of plants.

Do I just use my finger to push them under the plant?

I also have shrimp. I notice it has a small amount of copper. Will that be dangerous for my shrimp?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer!

The trace Amounts of Cu won't hurt your shrimp. You have the right idea on the tabs. Just make sure they are buried completely... If they are exposed they can turn your water brown.

I have attached a picture of my test this morning....

I read it as Ammonia < .25, NitrIte 0, and NitrAte 10 to 20
attachment.php

Last edited:
I have planted my new plants so that the babies and shrimp can hide...try to make it look like a forest.

Last edited:
Swords get much too large for a 10 gal tank and have big bio-loads. I go with 29 gals as a minimum for them.

Swords get much too large for a 10 gal tank and have big bio-loads. I go with 29 gals as a minimum for them.

Yep, that is what I was told when I first joined here knowing just the basics having had a few tanks years ago.

I hoped you noticed I have two HOB filters going, the latest is a AquaClear, in preparation for a second tank this summer in my classroom. I know I want lots of plants with a few breeding fish that will interest the kids. In the past I have had krabinsas (sp) which bred very easily. I enjoy the plants and want to give the fish PLENTY of room. I plan to understock my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom