Benefits of a Planted Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are many benefits to planted tanks. If you are unsure you want to start a planted tank then start researching what type of plants you want and then look at their requirements. This will let you know if you need to upgrade your lights, add CO2, ferts, etc.

You might decide during your research that maybe you don't want the extra maintenance of a high-tech planted tank and just decide to go with a low light/low tech set up that requires less frequent maintenance. It's all in your personal tastes.

Here is a good article on the basics of planted tanks:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/36/1/So-You-Want-a-Planted-Aquarium-/Page1.html

the key thing with plants is they help with water quality generally speaking. they also can help break up territories like other decor can. personally think it makes a semi more natural look. even though all those tanks you see might be great to look at but nothing close to nature still a box of water.

Real plants move and flow in the tank, fish seems less stressed with real plants to hide in, swim through, and rest on.

They also tend to soak up the bulk of the nitrates your bioload creates, so the only time you really need to do a PWC is to vacuum out the gravel and remove non-nitrogen contaminants.

Plants are a must with any tank, the sheer benefits outweigh any cons.

You jsut need to do your homework on what plants you want and what equipment you have or can afford to buy new.

I know some planted tanks with less them 1wpg that had r.indica growing like red weeds, anubias that are sheltered by huge floating plants.

I couldn't agree more on all that has been said for the benefits of plants.

All our tanks are live plants (except our feeder tank, which is currently a grow out tank) We love how real plants look and everyone who's seen our tanks now want's me to set up tanks for them.

Also with plants, this is unorthodox but with LIVE plants and fast growing ones, you can overstock the tank slightly more. I use ferts but after reading a few articles from amano and a few others, I will be discontinuing use and letting them(the plants) feed off the tank, algae should be reduces as well as water quality should improve slightly if not the sheer clarity.

With LIVE plants the tank kicks into a natural habitat state and the fish react more naturally to real plants. they take in Co2 and give off O2 just like our terrestials and trees, they take in ammonia and nitrites turn them to nitrates I believe and the waste is very minimal.
I used to keep fake plants, got with FORT who used to be on here possibly deployed in combat right now, but between him and MGamer on this site, you cant go wrong.

even low light low tech plants will thrive in a tank with no special care at all.

Back
Top Bottom