Bert's 30G Planted adventure.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was wondering what the blue stone is made out of? I've only heard it used for road base (basalt) but that looked like something else?

I'm not sure what it's made out of, they have a few quartz veins in them and it almost breaks apart in sheets like slate. I've been told it's blue stone but the fact it breaks in sheets makes me wonder if it really is.

That's an odd one. Maybe schist? That could get a blue colour but still split in sheets. Lol, I'll be wondering all day now :)

That's an odd one. Maybe schist? That could get a blue colour but still split in sheets. Lol, I'll be wondering all day now :)

Haha sorry! Whatever it is I have 4 big piles of it out the front of my house lol. I can get a picture if u want?

In other news I've got all the stuff for my cerges reactor. Just missing the co2 inlet, I'll pick that up tomorrow if I can. I haven't tightened it all up yet but here is what it looks like:

IMG_1482372448.248606.jpg

Also my NT lace plant is wanting to flower so I've let it come out under the lid so I can see what it looks like when it opens up ;)
IMG_1482372684.022038.jpg

Big plans for the tank today, hopefully get my reactor up and running (just need to make up the mount and tweak a few things)

A tip for anyone dealing with these reactors or planning to make one, don't hold it close to your face when your unscrewing it. One of the hose barbs flew round and hit me in the mouth so I spent family christmas with a giant purple lip haha. ;)

Also I'm going to make up a wooden or metal tank with the front cut out to practice scaping for when I get the new tank (if I ever get it)

There is a 900x900x450 on my local classifieds for $80 at the moment that I'm very tempted to buy. However it's abit large for what I'm after so I'd have to cut it down to the desired size(900x500x450mm)
Still deciding if I want to so this or just get all new glass and be done with it.
Or maybe just get a standard 1200x350x450?

I'm so confused about what tank to get. I've got room for any size, what size do you guys think I should get?

The lace plant flowered abit and then I ended up cutting it off accidentally with the front flap on the hood.
Everything else is looking good. Still have the usual on going battle with BBA (hoping the new reactor can combat this problem)

Flower pic: IMG_1482864670.547871.jpg

Big plans for the tank today, hopefully get my reactor up and running (just need to make up the mount and tweak a few things)

A tip for anyone dealing with these reactors or planning to make one, don't hold it close to your face when your unscrewing it. One of the hose barbs flew round and hit me in the mouth so I spent family christmas with a giant purple lip haha. ;)

Also I'm going to make up a wooden or metal tank with the front cut out to practice scaping for when I get the new tank (if I ever get it)

There is a 900x900x450 on my local classifieds for $80 at the moment that I'm very tempted to buy. However it's abit large for what I'm after so I'd have to cut it down to the desired size(900x500x450mm)
Still deciding if I want to so this or just get all new glass and be done with it.
Or maybe just get a standard 1200x350x450?

I'm so confused about what tank to get. I've got room for any size, what size do you guys think I should get?

The lace plant flowered abit and then I ended up cutting it off accidentally with the front flap on the hood.
Everything else is looking good. Still have the usual on going battle with BBA (hoping the new reactor can combat this problem)

Flower pic: View attachment 292343

Good idea about the the scaping tank. Stores should offer more in the way of scaping tubs round my way.

Hope the reactor works for you. What do you have in mind for the new scape?

Good idea about the the scaping tank. Stores should offer more in the way of scaping tubs round my way.

Hope the reactor works for you. What do you have in mind for the new scape?

Still thinking the roots over rocks type of thing.
Mainly going for small shrub plants and mossy wood with a HC carpet. If I get bored then I might add a few stems ;)

Do you think I'd be able to pull this off in a 90x35x45cm or a 120x35x45 tank? Only reason I was going to get one custom made (50cm wide) was because I thought I'd need the extra width for this type of design.

Few pictures I've found that I like:IMG_1482882334.804582.jpgIMG_1482882346.973579.jpgIMG_1482882358.366075.jpg

So instead of doing what I was ment to do today I actually went and brought a tank. I've ended up with a 120x45x45cm (60g) I have to clean it tomorrow and start building a stand but I'm hoping to get in some scape practice in the next few days.

I've also found BGA starting in the 30g and I have no idea why it has started.

Any tips on how to get rid of it?

I'll be stripping this tank down once I get another filter and the lights for the new one but I plan on using it as a grow out tank for the plants I plan to use in the new tank scape. I don't want it to kill my plants while I set up the new one :s

So instead of doing what I was ment to do today I actually went and brought a tank. I've ended up with a 120x45x45cm (60g) I have to clean it tomorrow and start building a stand but I'm hoping to get in some scape practice in the next few days.

I've also found BGA starting in the 30g and I have no idea why it has started.

Any tips on how to get rid of it?

I'll be stripping this tank down once I get another filter and the lights for the new one but I plan on using it as a grow out tank for the plants I plan to use in the new tank scape. I don't want it to kill my plants while I set up the new one :s

Pictures look good. I like the last one a lot. Urgh BGA. I did manage to fend it off in my tank. There's a section on my 46 bow front thread about it. I think it was a multitude of things that I did in the end.

I'll be practicing today too. All my bits and bobs are here!

Pictures look good. I like the last one a lot. Urgh BGA. I did manage to fend it off in my tank. There's a section on my 46 bow front thread about it. I think it was a multitude of things that I did in the end.

I'll be practicing today too. All my bits and bobs are here!

Urgh is right! I'll probably get around to fixing it this weekend hopefully.

Good stuff on the scaping! Can't wait to see what you end up with.

Back
Top Bottom