Bert's 60g Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know - I agree, ridiculously expensive.

Kind of tempted on a re-scape here. Plants have gotten out of hand / some not doing well. Not sure if I like the bolbitis after all but too expensive to just discard. Dodged the whole issue by ordering some root tabs on weekend ....

Hearing your there, I was considering a iwagumi scape next but that means I'd be throwing out all these plants if I can't find a buyer (not many aquascapers here in Tas) and it seems like such a waste. My bolbitis rhizome is about 27cm long, I love the plant but it is very evasive and seems to block a lot of light.

Im back! I’ve been on holidays for the last 3 weeks in America and Canada. Had a really good break and saw some truely amazing scenery. Canada really is an amazing place.

Had my parents look after the tanks for the 3 weeks, fertilising and feeding every 2nd to 3rd day With one water change.

Really happy to return home to minimal damage, the tanks held up very well and the growth was crazy! Was a fair bit of GSA on the glass and 2 small tufts of BBA on the filter outlet but other than that it’s still algae free.

This is what I came home to [emoji23] https://i.loli.net/2017/10/16/59e485248c641.jpg
https://i.loli.net/2017/10/16/59e4853104ff1.jpg

https://i.loli.net/2017/10/16/59e485290dd42.jpg

Here’s what I managed to trim it back to
https://i.loli.net/2017/10/16/59e488a45a3f8.jpg

Planning a rescape if this tank once I can afford to replace the substrate with Ada soil. I’ll be moving away from the Dutch style and going more nature style. Thinking a nice addition of some large driftwood for something different [emoji4]

Welcome back. Tank looks good. They did a good job in your absence (having it stable to begin with helps).
I understand the need to change things up. Something I contemplate all the time.

Thanks guys :) it’s good to be home! still need to do filter cleaning when the jet lag wears off and need to tidy up the Ada 60h but one thing at a time ;)

@fresh2o yea I think I’m done with high maintenance stem plants for a while ;) I’ve got a pretty good plan in my head and have some really nice driftwood I’ve been sitting on for a long time so hopefully I can put something nice together. Not going to rush into it so I’ll have a really good plan before I attack it ;)

Lol - stem plants... starts off so simple.

Haha I know right! You get all excited because you can see them growing every day and then you realise you have to trim them every week and it becomes a chore lol [emoji23]

Last edited by a moderator:
Planning a new scape, here’s my initial idea, I definitely want to use the driftwood on the right but I’m thinking I need a similar piece on the left (more holes etc etc)

I think a driftwood hunt in on the cards! Still trying to decide on the plants to use aswell.

So far in thinking,
Needle leaf Java
Bolbitis
Dwarf hair grass
Monte Carlo
Anubias nana petite
Fissiden fontanus
Christmas moss
Pogo helfari
Lobelia cardinals (mini)
Ludwigia gladulosa

Maybe hygro pinnifida.

Any suggestions on other plants? Or how I can improve the design? I’ll also be using seyiu stone [emoji106]
https://i.loli.net/2017/11/10/5a04a1ca89012.jpg

Is that tank size in picture?

Yea the cardboard is a bit smaller height wise but the length is the same, I was thinking about shortening the wood up so the right is closer to the left and I’ll have more open “plains” on the right side if u get me?

I think I need to find a piece with a thicker edge so it’s flows to the right side better and looks more natural. I’m in 2 minds lol this aquascaping stuff is hard [emoji848]

Hey Bert is there any way you can rest the tip of larger log on the back left hand corner of the tank so the point of the curled piece is pointing back towards the left hand pane? That way you could tie some plants to the large log so they are suspended in the water column and focus the carpet inside the bend.

Good luck! I see what you mean - bit of fancy science there. Have you got filter pipes coming down left side?

Filter intakes are central in the tank and I’ve got a spray bar at either end [emoji106]

Hey Bert is there any way you can rest the tip of larger log on the back left hand corner of the tank so the point of the curled piece is pointing back towards the left hand pane? That way you could tie some plants to the large log so they are suspended in the water column and focus the carpet inside the bend.

Sort of going more for the fallen tree look cal, so it looks like it’s been bent over and eroded over time if u get me? Do you mean flip the right piece over?

I was thinking Xmas moss on top of the curl and fissidon in all the cracks with some scattered anubias nana petite in under side of the curve and in a few cracks aswell.

If I was picky I’m not sure I like where the wood pieces join and change colours but any plant in front would break up imo. Once 5 kilos of plants have grown in and the fish have machetes I just go for the wild look anyways so not much good on landscapes.

If I was picky I’m not sure I like where the wood pieces join and change colours but any plant in front would break up imo. Once 5 kilos of plants have grown in and the fish have machetes I just go for the wild look anyways so not much good on landscapes.

Thanks dela, I’ve scrapped the wood on the left and have found a new bit. I’m going to shorten it up like cal suggested and pretty sure I’ll be able to make a nice focal point if all goes to plan. I’m going to wrap the wood with thin roots aswell to give a nice effect (if it looks alright).

Back
Top Bottom