Bert's 60g Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bert2oo1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've brought a bare 60g (120x45x45cm) tank.

I brought the tank for $30 from a LFS that was closing down. The tank came without a stand so I've had to make my own.

Hardware I'll be running will be:

Makemyled 120cm LED tube x2 (Plant specific)
Maybe 2x60cm LED tubes if needed
Auto controller.

Aqua one 1200 canister filter (main filter)
Aqua one 750 canister filter (just for water polishing)

2.6kg co2 bottle with azoo regulator.

Cerges DIY co2 reactor.

Substrate will be black Eco complete.

Plants list will be (or similar):
HC Cuba
Pogostemon helferi
AR mini
S Repens
Needle leaf Java fern
anubias pangolino
anubias barteri
Java moss or willow moss.

Planning a proper scape for this one. Hoping to order the lights and filter to replace the one I'm using from the Oscar tank next week.

Built the stand today, just need to get some door handles and catchers. I've got some painted aluminium angle for the edges of the cabinet to tidy it up.

The stand is made of pine and Tasmanian oak. I've lined the outside with v joint pine.

I've painted the whole whole thing with "monument" coloured paint.

Building process:
:IMG_1483006225.305213.jpgIMG_1483006285.971304.jpgIMG_1483006299.921945.jpgIMG_1483006312.123241.jpg

That's is a nice stand.
Will be following the profess of this build for sure.

Thanks fresh. Just have to build a hood for It and clean the tank up now. I wanted to go hoodless but I I don't think I can due to evaporation. Plus I want to hide the ugly bracing at the top. Lightings going to set me back $320 :(

I understand about the evap thing.
Why so much for the lighting? Is it because of the tank length and depth? Have you considered a DIY LED setup? I have no experience with that but have seen a few videos on it.

I understand about the evap thing.
Why so much for the lighting? Is it because of the tank length and depth? Have you considered a DIY LED setup? I have no experience with that but have seen a few videos on it.

I'm too lazy to make my own ;) I've already got the auto controller etc from the 30g plus 2 60cm lights of the same type so I think I'll just fork out the $$ for them.

They also come with a remote to dim them etc (I'll be running the auto controller once the 30g is stripped down but I need the remote to run them untill then)

Here's the link so u can check them out ;)
https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/201474782947

So I've finished the stand (minus the ally edging). Put the floor in today and put the door handles and catches in. Gave it a final coat of paint aswell.

I'm happy with the finished result, should like nice all set up in the house.

Hopefully get around to making the hood tomorrow, I'm making it out of timber and aluminium tread plate. Lighting will be attached to the aluminium so I'm hoping this will also work as abit of a reflector. (Lighting certainly isn't going to be an issue in this tank).

Sneaky devil I didn't see this thread. Great effort with the stand. How come ppl in America/Aus have all the tools for DIY and know how to wield them? It's like another hobby haha. I thought cutting some drainage crate was getting creative! [emoji23]

What's happening with the 30?

Sneaky devil I didn't see this thread. Great effort with the stand. How come ppl in America/Aus have all the tools for DIY and know how to wield them? It's like another hobby haha. I thought cutting some drainage crate was getting creative! [emoji23]

What's happening with the 30?

Haha just thought I'd sly it in without notice. ;) as for the tools I used to be a builder by trade so I have a lot of tools at my finger tips. I stole all the wood from my parents shed that were left over from there reno's. Haha u did well with the drainage cells.

Did the background today, plus 1 side as this will be blocked by a wall. So you can only see through the viewing angles I want ;) came up pretty good

Oh and the 30g is going to the shed for a spare. All the gear from that will be transfered over to this tank plus another filter

Abit of a question here, do you guys think I would be able to use rubbing alcohol and water to clean the glass on the inside of the tank?

There is still a few marks on the inside that the bleach didn't budge. I'm thinking by the time I fill it with water all the alcohol would be evaporated?

Moved the stand in today and started playing with scape ideas.
This was the end result.
http://pho.to/AZpqi

Still need to add another inch of substrate over everything and 2 inch's on the foreground. I ran out of Eco complete so I'll need to get atleast another 3 bags.

I'll also be adding some more rocks.

Once I make a final decision on the scape then I need to deconstruct it and boil the wood/rock and remake it :)

Any advice to make it look better is always welcome!

Ended up completely changing the scape, I've almost finished 1 side. Getting more substrate tomorrow so hopefully get a start on the other side aswell.

I think I'll be dry starting this tank aswell as I want to grow moss to wood/rocks and I'll have a HC carpet.

So right side is completely finished. Got 2 more bags of Eco today and it's still not enough. Going to need 1 more bag to finish. Played around with the left side abit today but I hate it so it will be changed. (Needs more of a rise and I need more gravel for the bowl effect.)

You can start to see my plan coming together though.

http://pho.to/AZwjI

That's quite a slope on the right side. You might want to try something Cal did with those square plastic things (I know you said you were finished). You could use layers of plastic egg crate and window screen mesh to build up a "hill". You would recoup quite a bit of EC doing that.
Repeat that on the left side to complete the bowl effect.

Left side looks ace Bert. I've noticed that eco complete seems quite sturdy once settled. It rolls down like any other substrate if you pack too high but I think the finer particles help to get in the gaps and shore things up.

I took the drainage cells out. I could have used them in my final attempt and may end up regretting it but everything looks ok.

That's quite a slope on the right side. You might want to try something Cal did with those square plastic things (I know you said you were finished). You could use layers of plastic egg crate and window screen mesh to build up a "hill". You would recoup quite a bit of EC doing that.
Repeat that on the left side to complete the bowl effect.

Hey fresh, I've actually used a stocking filled with left over substrate from the 55g to make the slope ;) it's all about 2-2.5 inch thick over the top. I'm thinking about using some stainless mesh to help abit aswell. Maybe tuck the mesh in behind a few rocks?

I've still got to pull it all down and boil everything so I can make adjustments if needed. I'll Be dry starting aswell so I'm thinking Once the HC carpet roots in it should help hold the base.

Left side looks ace Bert. I've noticed that eco complete seems quite sturdy once settled. It rolls down like any other substrate if you pack too high but I think the finer particles help to get in the gaps and shore things up.

I took the drainage cells out. I could have used them in my final attempt and may end up regretting it but everything looks ok.

Thanks mate. It actually looks better in person aswell the pictures make it look funny lol.

Good to know about the Eco, check the post above to see how I made the slope of your interested.

I've also already got some got a few plants aswell, there growing out in the 30g. It's really crowded in there at the moment, might have a ditch a few more stems once things start to grow abit more. I've also got to do abit of a clean up in there, fair bit of BBA on the rocks and abit on the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom