Best c02 regulator with a 5# c02 tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OP - sorry to barge in again. Interesting stuff here. The CarbonDoser regulator that jehenry mentioned is toted as "the best in the world". No mechanical needle valve (it uses an electronic valve), it also has no solenoid valve. The conventional bubble counter is replaced with a flashing LED indicator. Yes, a little pricey but competitive with several GLA models price wise. Oh, the confusion sets in...

Very informative thread! As far as the GLA's go, if I was a bit more flush with cash currently, I'd go that route also!

Fresh, I'm sure the Carbon Doser is a good system but I can attest to the quality and accurate setting of the GLA system. The one I have is the Ultimate(better needle valve) System($445 w/5# tank). Not a single leak or bit of trouble. I'm totally pleased with it. I'm old fashioned I guess. I want to actually SEE the bubble count not a flashing light. OS.

What about the pH controller... (I know Old Scales.... stay away! Lol)... Anyone just doing the timer route on the c02 regulator.... on with the lights...off when they go out??

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh no!! Not that way Old Scales!! I didn't mean to keep quiet NO MEANS!... I just meant that you're don't like them.. .. Are you just doing the timer thing??

Yeah, yeah, I know us old *arts get stogy sometimes. LOL. I'm sure the pH controllers work as good as the timer based solenoid type. I'm not knocking them other than after all the years at work with them I'm just tired of calibrations. I have my CO2 come on 2 hrs before the lights and off 1 hr before the lights go off. I'll just say that whatever type you go with, you all will love the results of pressurized. OS.

Just order the GLA Ultimate!! Can't wait for it to come in!
Thank EVERYONE for their input....
<nod to Old Scales>. :)

All Right! Congrats Ricker. I think you'll be very happy with it. There are some special tips to go by before you first crack it open. PM me when you start putting it together. If you read the instructions well like we're supposed to you won't have any problems. What diffusor, drop checker did you go with? OS.

Didn't order a diffuser. Going to get one from a local shop. Never heard of a drop checker... Is that something to check a drop in pH?

A drop checker has a pH indicator solution in it that changes color to let you know if the CO2 amount you are dosing is enough or too much. It sits in the water. The co2 you add will go into the drop checker's air space. Blue means not enough, green is correct amount and yellow means too much. Go to the GLA site you ordered the CO2 system from and click on drop checkers. OS.

Awesome Ricker! I think you'll be very happy with having pressurized CO2. After I figured out how to set mine up, I cut a separate piece of particle board to mount everything to, otherwise the cords get out of control. Here's a photo...

I put all of the things that have to be turned off during water changes on a regular power strip (not pictured because it is mounted behind the canister filter), the ph controller is in the center, then the timer power strip is on the right. Everything on the timer powered strip can stay on during water changes.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394486495.171960.jpg

So what is pictured is what you would see when the aquarium cabinet door is opened and you are looking inside.

Ps. Ignore the numbers, that was for the purpose of another discussion.

Ok.. another question... Do I go with a diffuser (any size) or a co2 reactor. My tank size is a 92 gal corner..

What I've "READ" is that Reactor's are more efficient at absorbing the Co2 into the water column. To me the benefits of a reactor over a diffuser weren't enough to justify having the ugly Reactor hanging off the side of my tank... Curious to hear the opinion of someone using one.

The GLA Ultimate regulator came in today!!

Attachments

• 1394676746658.jpg
    1394676746658.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom