Best carpeting plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptnIgnit

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm trying to decide on what type of carpeting plant to get and I'd like your opinons.

Glosso is an obvious choice, but I was curious if there are other plants that look similar? Riccia carpet is thrown out as I don't want to have to tie anything down. Would it be possible to create the carpet affect with Pearlweed or would it grow upwards too fast and require too much pruning?

this is for a 10 gallon, 40w PC, I will be dosing all the standard macro's and traces, and just gravel substrate (so I would prefer something that doesn't necessarily require a nutrient rich substrate).

Anywho, let me know your thoughts.

Four-leaf clover (Marsilea crenata)

Grown emersed it's 4-leaf. The emersed leaves die off and new submersed growth starts.

Here's mine....
75g437.jpg

75g395.jpg

Pearlweed can be used to create an effective carpet. Under the right conditions it will creep instead of growing upwards. Marsilea Minuta (Dwarf Clover) has the lowest light requirements of the clovers and is also one of the smallest.

Some other options include Elatine Triandra and Hemianthus Callitrichoides. Elatine Triandra is a fast grower and creates a very attractive carpet. I think that Hemianthus Callitrichoides is one of the best carpet plants in appearance if you can actually get it to grow for you.

Purrbox said:
Elatine Triandra is a fast grower and creates a very attractive carpet.

Here's mine. It grows very fast, even under my lighting. This is a 10G with 2 20W screw-in CF bulbs. No CO2 either.

breederplt8.jpg

I think I am leaning towards the clover side of things, but I did a quick search on Elatine Triandra (as I'm debating between that and the clover) but there is very little info. Where did you guys get yours?

Thanks for all your help so far!

If you are going with standard gravel, I would not try HC. Find something thst grows with runners and you will be much happier. I believe both Elatine Triandra and most clovers send out runners that could take hold of gravel and stay down.

I imported my E. triandra from singapore, but I think it is becoming more available domesticly. Heh, probably because it grows so fast. Once it covers every square inch of open space, it will grow thicker into matt. Mine is about 4 inches thick ATM. This is a moderately high maintenance foreground for me and needs some trimming at least every 2 weeks.

The clover, for me is in a shaded area, and has not required any maintenance in over 5 months.

Onother less seen choice is Ranalisma rostratum. This is a grass or lawn type plant. it only gets about 1 inch tall, so it is much smaller than say E. tennellus.

Ranalisma_rostrata.JPG

Actually, the ET needs finer sustrate to hold I elieve. Would be hard to plant in regular gravel. But I could be wrong. Maybe Purrbox can comment on this, that's who I got mine from. :)

And if you give me a little more time, I should be able to send you a little.

He is talking about E triandra.
The secret to E triandra is to separate each individual plant and plant them separately. If they are really having hard time staying down, then cut the plants into pairs. Using your tweezers, shove one of that pair totally under the gravel. The bottom plant wont survive, but it will hold the top plant down long enough for the roots to take hold. For me, I have grown this in normal 2-3mm gravel, and in ADA aquasoil. It will also do just fine as afloating plant, this is a good way to quickly propigate this plant.

BTW, I have a ton of this stuff, if you PM me I will sent you some for the cost of shipping ($5).

Very kind of you Zezmo! I'll send a PM.

I figure I'll give both a shot since I can't make up my mind between the clover and the E Triandra, maybe move some into my 20 gallon.

Jaybird - typically you don't vacuum a cover that thick. Or if you do you just wave the vacuum over the top of it to pick up any loose debris.

Back
Top Bottom