Best clean up crew for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crittercaller

Aquarium Advice Regular
What would be the best clean up crew for a 75 gallon planted tank? Taking in consideration that I want to breed apisto's in this tank.

Bottomfeeders:
Eat fresh food left over before it rots
Do best in groups
Have large appetites
I suggest cory catfish, they're community fish, and do really cute things, and although they eat food off the bottom, and stores say that they're bottom dwellers, they swim through all three levels all throughout the day!

Algae eaters:
Eat algae off glass, plants, and other surfaces
One male maximum, multiple females are fine
Watch out! Large bio-load!
Are naturally grazers
Do not get a common pleco, they need 100g+ tanks to live in!
I suggest bristlenose plecos, that have a minimum tank size of 30g and they are very cute. They come in many strains, so keep an eye out, because some strains might need a larger tank than you have! I hope for the best! ^^

I have heard cories and pleco's will devour eggs? Not sure if this true, I presently have 5 oto cats and will be getting 5 more, are snails egg eaters?

I'm not sure about snails. Plecos and cories will totally ignore eggs most of the time, they usually only eat them if they're really hungry or need more protein in their system (which also means that they need to be fed more, or need more protein in their diet) some species of pleco are carnivorous/omnivorous, so you need to either 1) avoid those species, or 2) take the risk and feed them extra. I know for a fact that cory catfish won't eat eggs or fry, and I know that most plecos won't either, so if you go with the commons, you should be okay. Just do your homework on the species of fish, and you'll be fine ^^

If you already have ottos in your tank, then I wouldn't get more algae eaters. Therefore, I think that cory cats would be a better option than plecos.

No, not at all, they'll only eat eggs if you don't feed them enough (it's the same with any fish) so be sure to keep them well fed! ^^

Back
Top Bottom