Best co2 options for my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brentweld

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon heavenly planted tank I finally want to make the upgrade to co2 but I don't even know here to start. I want something cheap but also efficient. You can give me a few names and prices I can do some homework on them I am running a 4 bulb t5 36" zoomed light.

Attachments

• image-1159158687.jpg
    image-1159158687.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 189
Awesome that really helps. How difficult is it in the beginning getting set up? My tank is filled with all different types of shrimp just want to make sure I won't mess anything up.

For my 75 gallon, I got these things to make it automated.

Milwaukee-CO2-Regulator-wSolenoid-Valve
SMS 122 ph controller (this just causes the CO2 to turn on and off as needed, instead of "always on" or using a timer)
UP inline CO2 atomizer

And of course, a CO2 tank

I've recently setup 55g with CO2 as well. I went nuts, and splurged for:
COMPLETE ULTIMATE Co2 SYSTEM (best of the best)($600+ VALUE ! )

I have to say - I'm not very happy with the regulator that comes with that package, nor the internal co2 reactor that the base model comes with.

The regulator maxes out at about 19psi, which is just barely enough to reach the cracking pressure needed the up aqua inline co2 reactor that RiverCats mentions (which I also have been using on my return line from my Fluval 306).

Other than those two complaints, the Milwaukee sensor is great - same one mentioned by Hawkins, above.

I have a drop-checker as well - though I went with the mini drop-checker - and I would not recommend that either. Go with a normal sized one - it's very hard to see the color or to add the fluid and get the mix right in the mini ones - the stem is just incredibly narrow, and the bulb is tiny, so very hard to judge amounts.

I found setting it all up was pretty easy. The hardest part for me has been figuring out the efficacy of the whole thing. When my co2 is on, it turns my whole tank in to what looks like a soft-drink! There are billions of micro bubbles in the water. But they don't seem to get dissolved by the water in the tank all that well, and I have my doubts as to how well the co2 is at getting to my plants. So I'm not sure if it's the Up Aqua inline diffuser, or the low pressure limit of the regulator, or some other factor. I'm thinking of getting a larger reactor like the one my LFS uses, to see if that makes a difference.

Overall I'm glad I went co2 - but I might have saved a lot of money by skipping the regulator and just using timers & a drop checker to monitor the PH. It does offer peace of mind - I'm not going to ever suffocate my fish since it will auto-turn off if the PH did drop too low. :)

I used this sticky on the top of the planted tank forum to set mine up....

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/how-to-set-up-a-co2-system-137982.html.

I had to turn my working pressure up to 45 or 50psi when I added the inline diffuser. I asked a couple people who used them and they all had their pressure turned up. In my 220g I use powerheads with venturi feature to diffuse CO2 and only need my pressure set at 35psi.

You need a drop checker to see if your getting enough dissolved CO2 in the water. If it doesn't turn a nice light green after CO2 has been on awhile or stays blue then you don't have enough CO2 going into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom