Best Co2 Reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vondutch68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I'm looking to convert from a diffuser to a reactor. I am using a pressurized system in a heavily planted 55 gal tank. I am also using a Fluval canister filter so I can use an inline reactor although I would prefer using one that has its own pump. I am also looking to spend around $75 or less. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have been researching co2 reactors for months. The problem with that reactor design on your link is that the right angle turn between input and output will substantially reduce the gallons per hour throughput of your filter. Get a reactor with input and output that form a straight line or build one yourself like I did for my Fluval FX6.

See here for simple DIY ideas:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313431

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have the aqua medic 500 model. Beautiful unit and job! It's run off of a rio 50 pump. Two years running. About $50-60 on line..but money well spent! Works as good..if not better than the original DUPLA models - sadly no longer available in USA.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just added Co2 to my 125f planted community. I had a diffuser which did work but not evenly.

I just installed a Ista Mix Max ( Large ) attached to one of my Eheim 2217's. and it works very well. My Co2 levels are even throughout the tank, measured with a drop checker at each end, and ph test kit.

The unit is super easy to install, is quiet and completely dissolves the Co2. It had 3 large silicon suction cups to install in the tank, if you wish. I have mounted it on the side of the other canister filter, eliminating the kink that was developing in my hose.

The only fault is that it does not include hose clamps ( $2.00 at home depot )

This unit does not have a pump it is an inline reactor/diffuser, but it works quite well.

I decided to go the in-line route. After doing the research it seems to be the best. I ordered a Sera Flore CO2 Active Reactor 500. It had many positive reviews and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Crap. Wish I would have seen this. I like the design, especially the built in hose clamps

nice choice...... I have reactor envy.

What are the diameter sizes of the intake and output plugs for the Sera Flore and Ista Mix Max? That is, what diameter hose does it require?

Not sure what the diameters are as I haven't received it yet. Its supposed to be delivered today. I will post the dimensions as soon as I get it.

Sent from my iPhone.

I'm surprised the online info is so sparse. Does not specify any filter compatibility info.

So I got the Sera Flore CO2 Active Reactor 500 installed tonight. I'm running it with a Fluval 306. I basically replaced the ribbed flex hose with clear tubing I purchased at Ace Hardware. I'm using 5/8" ID tube that has an OD of 7/8". I am using hose clamps on the reactor because the nuts won't fit over the 7/8" tubing. The 5/8" inside diameter fits very snugly over the fittings on the reactor. Seems like a pretty solid, well designed piece of equipment, there are a few tiny bubbles that are coming out of the filter output but I do have my bubble count a bit on the high side right now. I can post pics if anyone wants to see the setup.

What's the difference between the Sera Flore and Ista Mix Max reactors? Just wondering if you made comparisons and why you chose the more expensive option?

The Mix Max and the Sera Flore seem pretty similar. The Sera Flore seemed to have better reviews and more solid construction. I'm really liking the way it works. I guess the real test will be how my plants do compared to the old diffuser. :)

Sent from my iPhone.

To improve dissolved CO2, maybe you can install the reactor on the input side instead of the output side. Just fill the entire input circuit with tank water using funnel so it will siphon automatically.

Back
Top Bottom