best fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am setting up my planted tank (58 gal, combo of natural light and artificial). What are the best kinds of fish to get?

Thanks,
Kimberly

I would start out by checking your tap water parameters, and check what fish
would be happy with this. Probably the easiest way! :wink:

I guess maybe the question should be what fish would not work well in a planted tank?

Thanks,
Kimberly

Not really interested in big fish, although I do like plecos. I would prefer a variety of fish.

Kimberly

A community tank is a combination of different species and sizes which do well in a 55gal tank.

Included in this type of tank are:

(small)Tetras, barbs, danios, white clouds, etc.
(medium) Angels, SA cichlids, dwarf cichlids, etc
(bottom feeders) plecos, cories, loaches, etc.

The varieties of each are almost endless.

HTH

Silver dollars will eat the plants, so wouldn't be a good idea to get them.

i have rosey barbs in my planted tank and they destroy plants with small leaves... The gouramis i had (going to get more soon) did very good with the plants.

Not sure I'm the best one to give advice on this topic but Bushy-nosed (Bristle-nose?) plecos eat algae like crazy. Also, I would recommend other algae loving species like Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE's) and Florida Flag Fish. Otocinclus cats are also another favorite. It's like having a crew of janitors to keep your tank clean :) You might also consider inverts like Nerite Snails and Malaysian Trumpet Snails. I keep both in my planted tank and they are invaluable for cleaning duties.

Back
Top Bottom