Best Glass Cleaner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackwood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's the best thing to clean the outside glass with that won't harm the tank?

I've heard Windex and others will pollute the tank with Ammonia, and that makes sense. What's best to use? Would Vinegar/Water (for hard water stains) hurt anything?

Any suggestions?

Blackwood said:
What's the best thing to clean the outside glass with that won't harm the tank?

My wife has been doing a fine job for years. might want to look into one of those. :lol:

I always use Windex and have never had a problem. I just make sure not to spray it too close to the top and ensure the tops are down before I do it. I have heard of the same concern and really never gave it much credit.

rkilling1 said:
My wife has been doing a fine job for years. might want to look into one of those.

That sounds like a great idea, I'm gonna have to pick me up one of those.

rkilling1 said:
My wife has been doing a fine job for years. might want to look into one of those.

If getting a wife isn't an option, for instance if your apartment or bank account are too small :lol: , then you could use Safe & Easy Aquarium Cleaner from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (for cleaning the glass) and Lime Off from Jungle Laboratories (for lime and other hard water deposits). The first claims to be non-toxic to aquarium life and I spray it directly on the glass (on the outside of the tank) and have never had an adverse reaction from my fish.

Hi - can you tell me what the active ingreditents are in the two cleaners (Safe & Easy and Lime Off) are ?

Neither product indicates what the ingredients are. The Lime Off label states explicitly that it should not be added to aquarium water. I use it away from the tank and carefully rinse off anything I put it on.

I use regular water if I just need to get rid of some water spots, for more stubborn spots I resort to vinegar. Both work really well. I've used that aquarium cleaner by AP in the past and it really doesn't hold a candle to vinegar for the stubborn spots.

One more vote for Windex. I spray right on the glass (angled down to avoid getting near the water) and wipe. I have also used other simliar cleaners that would be toxic if you put them in the water and have never had a problem with it.

IMO using a specialized cleaner is like buying those veggie cleaner sprays when water works fine... Probably a waste of money.

Oh and my wife doesn't do glass either :(

what you guys use to clean the inside rim where the surface of water lines are left, and the calcium deposits etc?

For the top rim I just dip a clean end of the rag in the top of the aquarium and wipe. I have not been able to remove some of the more nasty hard-water deposits. You could also use your glass scrubber to try and remove anything in the inside of the glass (lines from low water levels, etc). I level mine off twice a week or so, to keep the water level above the plastic rim pieces at the top, thus avoiding any water lines on the inside of the glass.

I'll try a mix of vinegar and water to get the spots off and see how that works.

Thanks.

Put me down for a damp paper towel, followed by a dry paper towel.

I tried 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar, and it worked great. Took the hard water spots right off if I let it sit on them for about 30 seconds. Cleaned the rest of the glass beautifully.

I use the baby wipes that are for my baby girl, they work great and have never had a problem and they come completely clean with no residue.

For my glass top, when it really gets dirty, I use baking soda and vinegar and make sure to rinse really well before putting it back on top.

I spray windex on a rag and then use the wet-with-windex rag to clean the glass and a dry rag to dry the glass.

hashbaz said:
I spray windex on a rag and then use the wet-with-windex rag to clean the glass and a dry rag to dry the glass.

Same here and have had no problems. Also use Vinegar for hard-to-remove deposits. :)

I use either Windex and newspaper or vinegar/water and newspaper. Newspaper is streakless and does not fall apart very easily.

Back
Top Bottom