Best hood for a 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a 10 gallon tank and I would like to make it a RCS and FRS shrimp tank. I would like them to breed also and I would love to plant the tank too. So here are my questions:

1. What is the best/cheapest hood for a 10 that can grow low light plants?

2. What is the best substrate for a shrimp tank?

3. What are good plants for shrimp?

I purchased a 10" led 7000k Finnex light on Amazon for less than $40& have it resting on a glass top...plants are doing great under this fixture..I have a mixture of crypts,anubias,windelov fern,jungle val&java moss w/a 50/50 mixture of eco-complete(black)-black sillica sand in my shrimp tanks..

Could I just buy a hood with screw in bulbs and replace them with different ones? Do they make bulbs for that?

Yeah,CFL's(compact florescents)..but from what I've heard they lose their intensity within 5-6 months & for what they are they are costly...I'd recommend something diff...you can find em in most home improvement stores...look for ones between 5500k-67000k...again not a cheap alternative..

So I'm looking at $40 minimum for a 10 gallon hood? Dang I was hoping for something cheaper but oh well

I've been growing low light plants in a 10 with an inexpensive light over glass with 1 CFL bulb (6500 I think) and I've not had any problems. Nothing fancy planted in my tank - java fern, anubias, small amazon sword, an aponogeton that's taken over the tank and lots of wisteria . All growing well in or on sand. I bought the light at a thrift store and replaced the incandescent bulb with a CFL bulb from a hardware store.

I tried another light fixture with 2 CFL bulbs and had algea issues right away, so I'm assuming it was due to too much light.

Back
Top Bottom